Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

16x6.5 chevy 2500 wheels

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Stinger, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Stinger

Stinger Registered Member

Hello CK5. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, cautions, etc about running 315/75/16 or 35's on the factory 16x6.5 Chevy 2500 wheels. I acquired them temporary wheels when I converted from the 12 bolt and Dana 44 to 14 bolt ff and Dana 60. I still want to run 35's and I kinda like these wheels. Any words?

2. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

they are pretty narrow, but i like them too. Somethign tells me the centers won't clear....but im not sure.

3. Stinger

Well I have them on. I'm mostly worried about safety because most tire manufactors suggest at least a 8 inch rim.

4. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

well, you'll never blow a bead. Not really a safey issue i know of, run the tire at the right pressure, and you might even get them to wear ok. Center wear will probably be a problem.

5. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

it is not a stable combination. there is nothing wrong with pinching a tire some but your sidewalls are at a bad angle. I worked in a tire shop where customers would have us mount wide tires on narrow factory wheels all the time. lots of people would later complain about the road manners of the tires they bought. it's not the tires fault, the rims are too narrow. a difference of more then 4" between rim width and tire width is too much.

I like the look of those wheels. weld on some beadlocks. it will make the wheel wider and step up the cool factor as well as make them ultra funtional. or keep the tire size at 285 and down.

6. Mr.Jimmy

Mr.Jimmy Registered Member

I wouldn't do it. Too narrow, but I like the beadlock idea! I would look into that if you REALLY want to run them.

7. Stinger

you know I tried 33's before I got the 35's, but they didn't look right because I have 6" front / 8" rear lift. I really want, to run 37's. However i'm stayng with the 35's and reducing the lift to 4/6 so I don't wedge myself in another parking garage. It's funny I had to let out almost all the air to get the truck free. then had to back out.I've ultimately concluded that there is no way around the wheel issue. I'll be looking for a set of Hummer2 or weld 17" Commandos.

8. Stinger

have anyone seen anyone runing the Hummer2 17" wheel and tires?

9. Stinger

Forgot to tell you, Interco sells a narrow SSR that is supposed to be 35x16 that will fit the rim.