Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

17" Beadlocks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Corey 78K5, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

17\" Beadlocks

I got a price on a set of black steel 17" beadlocks from
    High Impact for $215 a pop. So does this sound like a fair price to you guys? I know that I can get other sizes, but I like the look of the 17" and I think they would go good with 37's. Also I don't want to do any grinding so 15's are out of the question for me.

2. wheelin_willy

wheelin_willy Registered Member

Re: 17\" Beadlocks

for me the smaller the rim the better. the more tire you have the more it can conform to the terrain. aluminum doesnt like to do that /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. 72BlazerTravis

72BlazerTravis Registered Member

I was under the impression that beadlocks were illegal for street use. Though IMO I think 17's are way too huge. 15's will do the job without having ricer wheels. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I ALMOST went that route. Id say go for it if there is absolutely no possibility that you want to go to a bigger tire in the future. Sure Goodyear might come out with that 40" but your gonna end up with a sore butt on that deal. They still have the same sidewall profile as a 35/15 so you get flex but a little better on road handling. Look into the hummer bead locks a little, if you haven't already. Hummer beadlocks are a 16.5 and allow for a lot more tire choices if you plan to go for the sky in the future.

Other than that go for it if it fits your driving /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

I'd agree 17's are too big for off-roading, Like was already mentioned, the more rubber showing the better traction will be. Especially when aired down to 4-5 psi (the whole point of having beadlocks) You're right. They are NOT d.o.t. approved, therefore illegal for street use.

6. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I'd agree 17's are too big for off-roading,

[/ QUOTE ]
    yeh thats why many of the pro's are running those BFG Krawlers on 17" rims on their comp rigs with no probs /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

the only problem i see with 17" is that right now there is a very small selection for 17" tires. give it a year

7. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

aluminum doesnt like to do that

[/ QUOTE ]
    I guess you missed the part about them being steel. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I was under the impression that beadlocks were illegal for street use. Though IMO I think 17's are way too huge. 15's will do the job without having ricer wheels.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I don't recall ever saying they were for the street!
    Why are they to huge I'm going with a 37" tire? I guess all those people with 15's and 33's look funny. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    Ricer wheels? Oh what the ****. Black steel beadlocks are now ricer wheels! Give me a break. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

9. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

yeh thats why many of the pro's are running those BFG Krawlers on 17" rims on their comp rigs with no probs

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ding Ding! We have a winner! Well at least one person is seeing the futer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Face it folks 17's are here to stay mark my words. Funny how factory trucks come out with 17's and or bigger.

10. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

Although the aftermarket is not fully supporting off road tire choices in a 17" size yet, I would think a 37/17 would give you better sidewall stability than a similarly profiled 35/15 combo. The 17" tires are still too pricey for me at this moment, so I'll stick with my 16"'s. But I believe you are correct that this size will be more popular for off-roading use in the future. Good luck with what ever you do.

11. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

The reason you see 17" or even larger in the comp's is to prevent the tire from folding over when aired down, with a 15" tire/rim aired down to let's say 2 PSI on a 38" tire you can get a good amount of the tire folding over (usally not good) while turning etc., with the same senerio running a 17" tire/rim combo the same height tire will be 2" shorter thus providing a more stable situation.

12. IronMan

IronMan 1/2 ton status

I just bought a set of allied rims from high impact. 17" rim 8" wide. 8 on 6 1/2 bolt pattern. 4 5/8 backspacing. No Bead Locks. I mounted up my Goodyear MTR's 37 x 12.5 17 Load Range E Hummer tires. Took more weight than i wanted to get a good balance on them. But they look pissed-off. The wheels where very well constructed. I am really pleased with the combo. Dont have any pics though. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Have you looked at Rockstomper yet Scott has some 17in wheels as well with bead locks. I think the price will be close though.

Eric

14. Highlander

I was think of going to a 17in steel myself but the only one I found so far is from Rockstomper. What did Highimpact wheels cost?

Eric

15. IronMan

IronMan 1/2 ton status

Mine without bead-locks were $130 each. Worth it? I like the way they look, and they seem very well built. 35 pounds each. Would like to be able to post pics... but dont have a digital camera as of yet. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

16. Highlander

Thats not a bad price really. I was down at a local tire shop and told a set of 16x12's would cost me just about that much.
    I guess I'll have to call highimpact I went to the web site and I didn't find any non bead locks listed.

Eric