Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

17" wheels for 40" MTR's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DSJ, Sep 20, 2003.

1. DSJ

DSJ Registered Member

17\" wheels for 40\" MTR\'s

OK I am looking for a set of 17" wheels for my K30. I want to run steel wheels and the 40" goodyear MTR's. I have the money sitting here but I can't find a wheel that has around 3" of back spacing. The only ones I have found have 5", and I can't use that. Does anyone know of someone who sells them? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: 17\" wheels for 40\" MTR\'s

I read recently in a mag that Currie has making 17" beadlocked rims, probablly pricey but might be what you need

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Why can't you use 5" backspacing? I'd love it if I could use that much backspacing. I hate tires that stick out past the fenders.

4. DSJ

DSJ Registered Member

first I think I will rub on the frame or something when I turn. I only have 4" lift and tons of trining but I want to keep the inner fenders. Second, I currently am tearing up my hubs because they stick out past the tires.

5. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

YES!!!! 4" of lift and 40s!!!!!!
    ya know, you and me should hang out some time /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

when i chew up my 37s im gonna go 40s too.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I was told rockcrawler sells 17s in just about any backspacing.

7. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Go here for great wheels and great customer service. This guy can build you any wheel you want for a very reasonable price. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Why not Weld wheels? I was thinking of someday getting some 40" MTR's and using the 17x10 Welds. I know they are a little pricey, but sure look damn good and are the strongest wheels the market has to offer. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

HD steel eatons are 2.5" of BS if I remember right. you can get them from national tire & wheel.

j

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

if I had $800 just for rims laying around I'd jump on those in a heartbeat

11. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

allied make them......17" steelies....they have a website also /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. DSJ

DSJ Registered Member

I called stockton wheel and they would make me a set of 17x9 with 3" backspacing for $155 ea. Does this sound like the best deal or can I get them for less somewhere else?

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Sounds good to me. I think I'm gonna call tomorrow about 17x8 with 4" backspacing. I want to run 37 MT/Rs so I could go 15" but I also know that someday I will want the 40s.

14. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

If I remember right, Stockton has had shady dealings with various members on the POR site. Something about them taking forever to get the rims built and shipped. You may do a search on POR and see what they havd to say. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

15. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

seems to me my friend at discount tire said the allieds were lik 79 buks each...in a 17x8 8 lugger

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

my problem right now is, I want 37x12.50 MT/Rs, I have the choice of 15" rim or 17" rim. I think I should go 17" cause that will leave me the option of 40s in the future(which I am sure I will want when I can afford them, a dana 60, and new gears). But 15x8s are only $40 a piece. I think when I go with 40s and dana 60 and all I will be able to afford some cheap rims too so yeah.

17. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

damn, i did some searching around the net and couldnt find much better than the stocktons at $155... thats a purdy good deal. I never noticed how $pendy 17" rims are. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif i think if I wanted to run 40-inch class rock tire I'd just get IROKs with 15" rims... maybe not quite the same as MTRs, but the whole set up would be a heck of a lot cheaper. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif if ya dont mind me asking, what kinda price have you found on the 40" MTR? national tire and wheel has it at $400 after FET... YIKES. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif IROKs are half that. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif if thats the going rate, seems like 4 40" MTRs + 4 stockton rims would run $2220.. compared to 4 39.5" IROKs + cheapo steel rims from summit would be around $1100. I dig MTRs, but i dunno if they are worth 2x as much as the competition. On the other hand, if ur rich, go for it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

18. DSJ

DSJ Registered Member

I found a place that will give them to me for $325 and mounting and balancing will be free so I am having a hard time turning that down. I have been concidering the 15" wheel and 37's but I know that I will want bigger soon. I an not to sure about the new swampers. I have one set and they wear out very fast and the ones I had where horible on the street. I don't trailer my rig and some times to get to a trail we drive 600-700 mi. I was thinking that the extra money would be worth it to have a radial tire that would go 30,000 mi. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Can anyone give me a website or Phone # for allied. I did a search and could not find them. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

19. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Why not Weld wheels? I was thinking of someday getting some 40" MTR's and using the 17x10 Welds. I know they are a little pricey, but sure look damn good and are the strongest wheels the market has to offer. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, a buddy of mine split a Weld Typhoon right in half at Pismo. He wasn't abusing it or anything, just running the dunes at 12psi like we always do. Not to say that all Welds suck because of this one failure, but they wouldn't warranty it because it happened offroad. I'd like to see a steel wheel split in half like that.

20. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

what about Rockstomper?