Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

17080213 Quad versus Edelbrok or Holley

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ntx78k5, Sep 19, 2005.

1. ntx78k5

ntx78k5 1/2 ton status

Well my quardajet caught fire 2 weeks ago and after having the K5 towed home I didnt touch it until yesterday. Luckily no major damage just a few wires to cut and splice here and there.

My question is, I can buy a rebuilt/remanufactured quadrajet for $250 or so, # on that carb is 17080213 1644 GPX. or I can spend $100 more and get a Holley street avenger 670 or $140 more and get a 670 truck avenger.

4WP, I know they suck has an edelbrok 650 for $339. I know there are a lot of posts out there and opinions vary but which is better. The Holley or the Edelbrok? Whick is easier to tune and keep tuned and which is easier to rebuild.

78K5 350 with a Edelbroke intake, RV cam is not a DD but does drive to the hunting lease and the 4X4 parks. ?

All opinions appreciated.

New Name for the K5 is Fireball

2. ntx78k5

ntx78k5 1/2 ton status

Anybody ?

3. zero cool

zero cool 1/2 ton status

I've run off road with people using most of the carbs you list.

While they're all decent on the street, off road, they make a huge difference.

A friend in a 75K5 goes just about anywhere he wants with his stock Quadrajet. Only at wildly extreme angles does he start to have trouble.

Another friend with a mid 80's K5 put a basic 600 cfm Edelbrock (1401?) on his new crate engine. Anything over about a 5-10 degree incline and he had all sorts of trouble. Leaning out or flooding, depending on the angle. We had to winch him out of pretty simple obstacles simply because he couldn't keep the engine running.

Still another friend ran the Holley Street avenger on his 86K5. Repeat the Edelbrock story. My winch got a good workout with both of them.

When the Edelbrock guy swapped in my spare Truck Avenger, all his problems went away. He was able to do everything right behind the 75K5 with the Quadrajet.

I went straight to a Truck Avenger on my old Jeep Grand Wagoneer and was able to take it at any angle as well.

The big difference was tuning. The Holley on my GW didn't want to hold a tune very long. It's just as well I got rid of the rig. But the Quadrajet was set-it-and-forget-it.

The only carburetor I don't have first hand experience with is the newer Edelbrock AVS "off road" carbs. I have yet to even hear second hand stories about it so I won't even speculate on how well it does or doesn't do off road.

If you're just going to mall crawl, I'd say use the Edelbrock. It's easy to install and tune and it's great for street driving. If you're going to go off road, I'd say stay with the Quadrajet.

4. ntx78k5

ntx78k5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info, just bought a 670 Truck Avenger. I know a lot of guys like the quadrapuke and thats ok. But I've had two bad one's in a row and even paid to have a good mechanic set everything and still nada.

Where are you in FW?

5. zero cool

zero cool 1/2 ton status

I've found that most mechanics don't know how to set a carburetor these days. I'm not that good at it myself, which is why I'm putting a TBI system on my trail rig and looking for an 87+ K5 with TBI for DD/light trail riding/hunting duties.

Oh, and I'm over in the Westpoint area of FW on the far west side.

6. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

I used the Edelbrock 600CFM and it sucked on the trail. The Q-Jet was awesome when tuned right... the big secondaries are great when adjusted right. I hear the Truck Avenger needs careful tuning but works fine. I have found the best way to tune a carb is to use a vacuum gauge!! Can get one cheap from napa. Keep leaning out the carb til ya get the highest vacuum level and yer set!!

7. ntx78k5

ntx78k5 1/2 ton status

Hey, Thanks for the info guys. I will be installing tonight in the 100 degree september temps.

8. ntx78k5

ntx78k5 1/2 ton status

Your K5 isnt white is it?

9. zero cool

zero cool 1/2 ton status

I don't have a K5 yet. I need to get my truck sold before I can start making offers on any K5's.

10. ntx78k5

ntx78k5 1/2 ton status

What are you selling? and how much?

11. zero cool

zero cool 1/2 ton status

It's a Dodge 2500 Diesel. I'm asking $19K obo.

I don't really need that much of a truck. And I don't like paying on a truck I almost never drive. I owe a lot less than it's worth so I can turn the profit right into buying an 87-91 K5 for straight up cash.

I figure the K5 is best for what I want to do, which is moderate wheeling, camping, hunting, and even a little daily driver duty.