Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

$175 14bff?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by texrbl, Jul 21, 2003.

1. texrbl

texrbl Registered Member

went searchin for a 14bff today found one from a 1996 4:10 and maybe posi for $550 alittle high for my needs and budget. also found one on a 1980's sub for $175 but i dont know the gears or anything else so does this sound like a good price to yall if i plan on swappin gears and seals ext...

and give me a list of things to check and or replace befor i swap /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

finally gettin rid of that 10 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Not bad pricewise, but if You decide to pick it up, You should pull the cover, and see what the ratio is, and look to see if it's a Gov. Lock, or open Differential.

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

$175 sounds pretty good, around where I live the price is about $150...

I would do a brake job on it and replace the brake cylinders as well, put on new oil seals and new wheel bearings. I don't think you would need to do anything to the diff as long as it seems in good order, though I would pop the cover and take a look and put in new gear oil.

You could do a disc brake swap on it if you want to, but I think the drums work pretty well depending on how much you drive/wheel it. I noticed a huge improvement in braking over my 12 bolt drums wet and dry.

4. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

oh yeah, mine also has a gov lok in it which actually has held up so far, but I am putting a detroit in it. I got the axle off of truck that was run pretty hard, and I have had it for 1 1/2 years and no problems (yet) from the gov-lok.

5. texrbl

texrbl Registered Member

thanks for the responses i think im goin to get the 80's one and regear, convert to disc, and replace the seals.

anymore advise would be great /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Something else to keep in mind.....if you're going to 4.56 gears (or deeper) you usually need to buy a new carrier anyway (~$160 through GM)....so if you can beat the guy up over a "Gov Loc 14BFF" that nobody seems to want....maybe you can get a better deal?

7. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Be patient. Depending on what gears you need, look for them with the open carrier. The money you save with the purchase might just buy that Detroit.

I scrounge really hard for deals, anyone have a good running 400 sb for like $50?????????

8. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

find out the gears...3.73 and lower try not to pay above 125. 4.10's around 150 or 175. i think i paid 300 for my van width with 4.56's.