Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

$1750 for a new stock 350 from GM

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dammit32, Feb 26, 2003.

1. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

I called the local dealer and thats what he gave me for a price. Is this a good deal? or should I look elsewhere?

I like the dependablity/reliability of the TBI so I would like to keep it. He mentioned for a couple hundred bucks more I could get a Vortec 350 made for 96-98 trucks but I dont know if I am biting off more than I can chew as far as the install goes.

Any feedback is good feedback

2. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Check Scoggin Dickey for crate motors. They have a 270HP TBI crate motor for about what you are talking. They have a stock pre-86 350 for around $1300.

Mike

3. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

whats the difference between a pre 86 and my 91 350? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

by the way Scoggin Dickey wants 1650 for the same goodwrench motor but $185 to ship it. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

4. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

the heads take a different intake manifold and the oil pan is a two piece instead of the newer one piece. there may be more diffs but thats all i know of.

5. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Never saw anything except one piece pan for GM SBCs?Is pre 86 engine new of rebiult?I'd rather have the new engine myself.Newer ones have one piece rear seal that doesn't leak as often and you'll have to change your flywheel to use the older style motor. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Its not the oil pan thats 2 piece. Its the rear main crank seal thats one piece an used to be a two piece. Because of this change, the new flywheels wont fit the older cranks. If youve got a 91 TBI motor, stick with a TBI crate engine, mixing and matching engines over that gap of time is a pain in the nuts.

7. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Look for a Caprice TBI motor. Pace used to sell em for around $1400 new, and they have a roller cam, 9.6 comp hyper pistons, a nod iron crank, and pink rods. 2 bolt main, but who cares? Should bolt right in and have a few more horses.