Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

$1800 cell phone bill and ex girlfriend... major rant, help me out here

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by muddysub, Oct 31, 2005.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

ok in early august my girlfriend of almost 2 yrs and fiance of 3 months decided she didnt wanna be with me anymore. at the time is was terrible but in the shadow of recent events, thats nothing. we had a cell phone contract together, a shared plan, 2 phones, one bill, one name, my name. me being the sucker of a nice guy i am decided to maintain some kind of friendship between us and i didnt cancel her phone. everything was fine the first month and the bill came and it was normal. the next month, holy ****. how does a person rack up over $1200 in ONE MONTH on a cell phone? i was angry but maintained myself and my shortening temper and we talked about it and she agreed to pay me the money she owed me for the cell bill. it would be in bi-weekly payments every payday until it was brought back to a zero balance... being the nice, trusting guy i am, i thought that would happen too. well she made payments to me usually between $100 and $140 . well i got the new cell bill a little over a week ago and SUPRISE its up to $1800 now... she racked up another $500 in the second month. so last friday i get a call from verizon wireless saying they wany $1200 by the end of the business day or our service will be interrupted. understandably pissed off i call my ex and she says "well i cant pay you that soon, oh well..." now im seeing red...so today my phone doesnt work, big suprise. even bigger suprise, i cant get ahold of my ex girlfriend... coincedently none of her friends know how to get ahold of her, she wont answer emails, and shes "too busy" at work to talk to me...

what do i do here guys? im screwed because its my name on the bill my credit being hurt by it and shes avoiding me now after she promised to pay me. i dont have the $!200 to turn my phone back on and she doesnt either, whats worse is that she wont even make an attempt to find a way to pay me. what to i do? get a lawyer? get the police involved? i have no idea what im supposed to do here.

this is living proof that nice guys finish last.

scott

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

NEVER NEVER NEVER SHARE BILLS OR BANK ACCOUNTS. this is vary good example people. sorry it had to happen to you but i think you are up the creek with out a paddle. possible court claim and show the cell # thats hers and prove all the calls were hers. and prove the # and phone were hers in writing.

3. muddysub

i have the bills so i have proof that the calls and fees are hers.

4. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

IMO.........it's your bad credit/bill. Just try to pay it off in installments and if you really want to spend the time and effort...........small claims court. The bill should show who used the minutes and when! Sorry to hear the crappy deal ya got!!!:mad:

5. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

thats about it,unless you want to nut up and go to jail.that sucks man.her friends prolly conned her into doing it. :rolleyes:

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

your name is on the contract as the customer, not hers, correct? regardless of who the phone belongs to, the customer on the account should be liable for all charges that the account incurs. when you got the first $1200 bill, you should've learned your lesson. i think you're pretty well on your own.

7. gauder

gauder Banned

Take the bitch to court. If you can pay that bill off soon.

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep. Pay it off and fightlater. Otherwise you may well lose twice. :doah: :mad:

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

got to say, I'm a nice guy, but nice would have ended $1100 dollars ago... well more then that now.

In my experience, friends never works out... ever... Friends with benefits can work for a bit, but usually also ends with someone hurt.

10. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

just cause you get a judgment against somebody in a court don't mean you will ever see any of the money. Just that they really do owe it to you. Like said never share bills till the i do is done. nuff said. sorry to hear bout it. :doah:

11. muddysub

well the contract is in my name but her name is listed under that number.. but i doubt this puts the billing responsibility on her though.

12. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

no words,,,,just a picture for ya :D

[​IMG]

13. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Do something like what businesses do to other people: get a mechanics lien (or whatever the hell they're called) so she can't try to get any loans anywhere until you are paid off first.

14. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

The title of the post says "help me out here"....

To be brutal, it sounds like you should have opened your eyes long ago and helped yourself. You should have shut that bitches phone off as soon as you walked away from her the first time. No sympathy from me.

15. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Have to agree with KidJethro and the others. You should have pulled the plug on her phone behind her back as soon as she left. As well as not agreeing to a shared plan with her in the first place.

As for paying, yes do what the others have been saying, send the company a check for what you can afford each month, and send another one the exact same day every month thereafter until it's paid off, AND DO NOT MISS A PAYMENT!

EDIT - You know where I learned my payment stuff from? Dad. But I've also been learning a whole lot more lately about how you as the debtor still have RIGHTS thanks to him telling and teaching me about how he's keeping these hospital bill collecting dogs off my back. He knows what he's doing because he's dealt with bill collectors in some form or another for over 22 years now ever since I was born.

16. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Pay the bill...and go visit her at work.

17. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I say the main thing to do right now is COMMUNICATE with the cell phone company. It is legally YOUR bill. Go to them immediately. Let them know that you are willling to work with them to get it paid. If they will work out a payment plan with you then go with it, and DO NOT miss a payment. You definitely don't need a blemish on your credit report. Do what it takes to keep clean credit. As for her, there is really not much you can do. Hiring a lawyer to go after that amount of money is futile, and most lawyers wouldn't bother with it anyway. However, if you have a friend that is an attorney you might be able to scare her into paying you back. It's amazing what a letter from Joe Schmoe "Attorney at law" will get out of people. Send it to her "certified" mail and keep the receipt. Other than that as Dave Ramsey says, "it's stupid tax". Making a mistake once is no big deal, just don't let it happen again.

18. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

man, that sucks.

First, hindsight's 20/20... shoulda-woulda-coulda but didnt.... blah blah blah... Take her phone away (or have Verizon turn it off after they turn you back on) NOW, and don't ever share a cell phone bill with someone again...

Second. Call Verizon today, explain the situation, set up a payment plan now - They will report to all 3 credit bureau's so you want to work with them if you don't want it on your credit report.

Finally, small claims court. The fact that she's started paying you for it shows that she acknowledges and accepts the debt to you and further strengthens your case.

Also, when you call Verizon, tell them you will be purusing her in small claims court to recover the money.

Good luck man....

Mike

19. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

Bummer dude. Have you thought about getting an unsecured loan from your bank? That way you can pay off the bill and make reasonable monthly payments to your bank. Most banks will give you one if you have decent credit.

20. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

1 turn off the phone asap
    2 sent her the bill (you will not get a dime of it )

just think you got off cheep if this was your wife think like 180000.00 or more and if kids are in the mix look out :eek1: