Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

18's & 35's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbluesuburban, May 3, 2007.

1. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

I am currently running 16's and 33's. I am seriously considering a wheel and tire upgrade. Is anyone out there running 18's and 35's? If so, I would really like to see some pics. And if would, please tell me the tire type and how much life you've got. (Just for reference)

THX!!!

2. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

does anyone make a 35 on an 18" rim. if they do I assure you it has a street thread. If you want bigger rims there are lots of companies that make offroad friendly 35's for a 17" rim.

3. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

I'm not running 35"s, but I've squeezed more miles out of my BFG Muds than out of my Toyo M/T's. The one set of Nitto O/C A/T's I had handled great on the road but I didn't get crap for mileage out of them.

4. bigbluesuburban

Or I could just run one of these tires I suppose.

1 - MT Baja Claw
    2 - MT Baja MTZ
    3 - BFG Mud Terrain TA K/M
    4 - DC Mud Country
    5 - Pro Comp MT 3ply
    6 - Super Swamper IROK Radial
    7 - Super Swamper TRXYS Radial

5. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

You might be suprised. I know for sure BFG makes their Mud Terrains in that size, along with Nitto Mud Grapplers, Pro Comp Mud & X-Terrains, Super Swamper SSR's & TrXus's, and Toyo Open Country MT's.

6. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I geuss I just never look for those sizes. learn something new every day.:bow:

7. Randy92782

Randy92782 1 ton status

yep they make em for even bigger. saw a set of 22's with mud tires on em, ghey i know. but what would you expect on a show truck

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I will also be running big rims with my tires on the burb . Most people don't read the numbers when buying tires and the shorter your sidewall gets the higher your weight load gets. (shorter sidewall, stiffer wall, better towing charactoristics(sp?))

9. bigbluesuburban

That is very true... of course not in ALL situations, but the basic principle applies. I know a number of people who don't like the 'big rim' look. But I don't think that 18's are big rims. And I will have almost exactly the same side wall as I do now, which IMHO looks great on my truck. I was never really a fan of HUGE tires and 15" rims. I owned a couple rigs like that and well honestly, I thought they drove like crap.

10. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My dad's truck is running 35s on 18s. Cooper SST and Eagle wheels. The wheels are a little to "blingy" to me, but the tires are awesome. Never put it in 4wd in a 1 1/2' of snow. That size tire is expensive!!!!!! I will try to get some pics this weekend. There are alot of tires that are that size and wheel combo.....

11. Randy92782

Randy92782 1 ton status

yep expensive it is. if i was to go bigger 17 would be about it. not much more expensive than 15 and cheaper than 16's or 16.5's IMO. i do like the bigger rim look but i don't wanna have to search for a spare tire for a 17 round here. kinda like Larry the Cable Guy gettin nominated for an Oscar. chances are slim to none. lol