Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

19.5's on a one ton?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by garlicbreath, Apr 22, 2005.

1. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

So I'm thinking, I want to drive to colorado this summer in my 71, 1800 miles one way, but don't want those miles on my 37's SSR's. I heard big truck tires wear like iron, and could come across a set fairy cheap, but they have 10 lug wheels I think. I could always spin up some adapters at work to mate to my 8 lug one tons. But then theirs the offset problem, they usually are duallys right? Another bonus is the tires are taller than my 37's, so it would be like a redneck overdrive. What do you guys think?

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Semi trucks use 22.5 and 24.5 wheels, smaller trucks like the topkick use 19.5 wheels.

3. garlicbreath

Ah, and the topkick tires aren't big enough are they?

4. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Ive got rims from a P30 stepvan on my rig. The rims were 35 bucks a piece at a local yard, so I got a good deal. The tires I have are at about 15,000 miles and have only worn of 1-2/32" so far. Not bad.

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Might look a little funny, but should work alright (single rear dually wheel).

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

P30 series !!!

I recently saw a P30 series "step van" with a cummins diesel/th400 setup in a junkyard,it had 19.5 inch tires and rims with the 8 lug bolt pattern just like all the other GM trucks (3/4 and 1 ton)...but it was a dually,I'm not certain if the rims are offset too much to allow use on a pickup or K5...I think they would look cool on my truck!--instant lift!--and the tires on that P30 were like new,nice 8 ply ones..probably could buy them for less than 50 bucks each with rims I bet... :thinking: not sure if they would rub the sheet metal though--wish I could try them on and see... :crazy:

7. garlicbreath

About how tall are the tires on those P30's?

8. BlueBlazer

About 34.5" tall and 8" wide, pizza cutters basically.

9. odee1

odee1 Registered Member

will these rims and tires clear the fenders on a 2wd truck? I have a 80 model crewcab dually that I tow my stuff with that I am working on repowering with a 6.5 turbo diesel. Would like to go with a taller tire on this truck, running a 235/85/16 right now. How hard are the rims to find? Got any pictures of your rig with the 19.5 rims installed?

10. BlueBlazer

You would probably want to go with 225/70R19.5s for a 2wd. They should fit, but I can't guarantee anything. They are roughly 32" tall and 9 wide. As for the rims, just call around to yards in your area asking if they have any stepvans. If they say yes, ask them what rims they have. You should be able to find a set pretty easy, at least I did. Hope this helps.