Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1956 Harley, Value? help please

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Aug 4, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Local junkyard back home has a 1956 Harley-Davidson Sprint for sale. Dad wants me to figure out what its worth. Hes just looking to turn around and make a profit on it(hes constantly having me look into the value of things for this). So anyone have an idea what one would be worth? he says its needs some work to be in top condition, its probably 50% of the way there. So he rated it in "good" condition. I don't know Harley's but he says its a small bike, like an Italian Harley or something, I don't know, he knows bikes way better then me.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

ok so its got to be a 66, I must have misheard. The Italian mini harley's didn't start until 1960.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

How much are they asking ??? Get it ready by next year and bring it out to Sturgis. Lots of rare Harleys are bought and sold at Sturgis every year for big bucks.

4. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Go here: http://www.cycletrader.com/ or get one from your local stop and rob store. If you can get it cheap, there is a pretty good demand for older Harleys. It has to be an actual Harley though, not a foreign knock off.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Its no foreign knock off, its made by someone else but Harley sold them here. Its some Italian company that Harely imported them, put their name on it and sold them here. Dad figures its probably rare, I have no idea. They want $300 with the title.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

7. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Anything with Harley-Davidson on it that is old will re-sell. It just depends on how much effort you want to put into it to clean it up. I suspect you could easily get your money back on it though.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Jump on it quick for that $300.00 price tag !!!!!!!

9. mudnmyvayne

mudnmyvayne 1/2 ton status

When i was in j-high I bought a harley "scooter" for $50. I didnt get it unloaded & a local hardcore biker offered me $500,i took it gladly...it was just a basket case. It was something I (or the biker) had never seen but was 100% HD just the same........Id say the same as Z3PR,take it to sturgis & sell for big coin.

10. i8yrsuv

i8yrsuv 1/2 ton status

Hey ,
    I owned 2 Harley "Topper " Scooters too..They base the engine on the same on used on the golf carts

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I rember when Hd was selling those Sprints. I have ridden one. Really nothing special They also had a 2 stroke 125 cc street bike called a Rapido and a 100 CC enduro called a Baja 100
    All were made in Italy by Aermacchi.
    The problem with old bikes like that is you have to find a buyer. No one really wants them. Unles they are either a certified Harley nut or a collector. Unless the bike is in mint condition I doubt if you could get $1000 for it. Its not really a Harley. Its just an odd ball italian bike with a Harley sticker.. If it is a Sprint SS350 it may be worth some good cash. But I dont think the 250s are worth all that much.
    Then unless you were lucky enough to sell it locally. You would have to deal with all the hassle of Advertising on Ebay or cycle trader, money/title transfer, shipping, ect.
    Aslo can you still get parts for it? And how much do they cost? Are things to concider if he wanted to restore it to sellable condition.

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Anything with the Harley Davidson name on it will sell at the Sturgis ralley.