Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1963 Chevrolet Pickup LONG BED thoughts on this?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Metrodps, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

2. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I think it looks like a really nice well upt together truck. Its always hard to tell from pictures exactly because little details dont always show up. I like it! Whoever built it looks like they knew what they were doing thats for sure.

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Will someone explain to me what the HECK that rear suspension is? I see coils and what look like leaves, and the coils are pushing on traction arms, or ... ?

-- A

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

My '64 C10 had coils all the way around. There are like traction bars that basically look like I-beams runing from the bottom of the rear axle up to the frame. You can see them in the pick.

Now I'm not sure what the quarter eliptical looking things are all about. Maybe something they added to 3/4ton models? :dunno:

Truck looks good to me. I like the body style.

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

That suspension setup is stock for the GM trucks. Most of them had that, few had leaf springs. All 4x4's had leaf springs, of course.

6. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

it looks good Lawrence. are you gonna buy it?what are they asking?

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Looks nice, but either it's not a 63 or it has an incorrect hood on it...that hood was only found on '60 and '61.

For that matter it also has the wrong mirror's on it, not just incorrect but look worng on that vintage of truck IMO.

The build quality looks good though, very well done.

Rene

8. Metrodps

"1963 CUSTOM CHEVY TRUCK HEAVY DUTY 3/4 TON 2 WHEEL DRIVE WITH A NEW 350 GM CRATE MOTOR WITH A FRESH TURBO 350 TRANS. NEW 8 LUG 16 INCH POLISHED GM RIMS WITH FIRESTONE STEELTEX RADIAL A/T LT 245/75 R16 120/116R M/S TIRES. POWER DISC BRAKES AND POWER STEERING,NEW DUAL EXHAUST AND REESE HITCH AND MOST EVERYTHING IS NEW OR REBUILT. EVERY BODY PART BESIDES CAB WAS DIPPED AND E-COATED.THIS APACHE 20 HAD A TOTAL MAKE OVER INCLUDING THE VERY RARE OBNOXIOUS 1961 HEAVY CHEVY TRUCK HOOD. I INCLUDED SOME PICS OF THE RESTORATION, IT LOOKS SO MUCH NICER IN REAL LIFE THAN IN THE PICTURES, PAINT IS JUST LIKE A PERFECT MIRROR,MUST SEE TO APPRECIATE. THIS CUSTOM GM TRUCK WOULD BE GREAT FOR SHOW OR USE IT AS A WORK TRUCK OR DAILY DRIVER. YOU CAN NOT BUY ANYTHING LIKE THIS FOR THE PRICE. THIS TRUCK IS JUST A GREAT PIECE OF U.S.A HISTORY. FOR BEING 44 YEARS OLD I DO NOT THINK YOU WILL EVER FIND A NICER ONE THAN THIS. PLEASE IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS CALL ME 419-288-2465 I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO END AUCTION EARLY FOR LOCAL SALE. "

I will explain why I ask in 1 day 23 hours. There will be a question asked after I answer your question boggerless. :D

9. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Not only is the wrong hood for the year it has the wrong grill. That front end is off a 61. IMO the front end is ugly. Chevy used that style suspension on 2wds, GMC used leaves. Those springs on the back side are overload springs, which are not factory. Nice truck tho......

10. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Very nice, but not a show truck. I like how it looks but as somebody confirmed, it's not the right hood.

Does look like it is a great rebuild and I only see one questionable item for quality of work. Look at the rear axle pic. You can clearly see the cover wasn't cleaned up enough to be smooth. Could be it was rusty and that's after sandblasting but why go so far and not take the last step? It made me wonder if that was the only short-cut?

Definately copy the ad and all the pics. If you do win it and find something later it will be good information to have.

Added:

I believe that's an Eaton rear end. Which weren't used as much.

11. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

I think it is a nice looking truck. I am sure that there are things that aren't body correct and I am sure that it is NOT a professional resto. But it appears that the guy did a nice job. Look at it in person and if it's what you like, then buy it and drive it and enjoy it. If I had the $11K I would consider it as a fantastic daily driver. IMHO

12. Metrodps

OK I will pop it early! I know the guy and his brother they are into the pre 80's trucks. They have like 13 trucks and I am working on getting them to help me with my truck as far as painting and putting the new rear floor in.

They have a crap load of N.O.S. parts and truly love these trucks. We sit and BS at the Garage for hours. So I was wanting to see your thoughts as to the quality of the work. I don't know if either one of them comes here but I did tell the one I hang with about CK5.

13. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

I believe this suspension ran from '60 til '72 in the 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks. They are called trailing arms, sorta like a 2 link I suppose. There is a trac bar to locate the axle, and the half-leaves are factory overloads for this suspension. They are a not too easy to find option.

This was stock on Chevrolets and optional on GMC's. GMC's came stock with leaves in the rear, and they were optional on Chevy's. This is for 2wds only, all 4x4s in this time frame were leaves all around.

14. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

+1 on the factory-style leaf overloads.

Would look slicker if it was a longbed stepside. ;)

That is a '61 nose IMO. Here's my buddy's '60 for comparison:
    [​IMG]

15. Metrodps

It is a 1961 Hood can't ya read!

A TOTAL MAKE OVER INCLUDING THE VERY RARE OBNOXIOUS 1961 HEAVY CHEVY TRUCK HOOD. :doah:

Anyway just wanted the opinion of the brain trust as to how the work looked. Thanks

16. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I think the front end looks good, hell the whole truck looks damn good. I dont really follow the early 60's chevys so maybe thats why I dont think the hood looks out of place. Unless you want it for car shows where people will be looking for correct year vintage parts who cares. It looks saaaweeeet.

17. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I think its sharp!..

I personally like the "fugly" hood with the "eyebrows"they used in '60 and '61!..looks like a nice truck,and they did a good job restoring it!..I wouldn't mind owning that !..those years were some of GM's best looking trucks,IMO..

My "trailer" made from a '62 GMC 3/4 ton 2wd chassis, has the identical eaton rear end,coil springs and trailing arms as that truck..mine has a FF axle also..those "helper" leaf springs are a factory option..my frame doesn't have the helpers,but there is a spot to bolt them on if desired..my brother had a '67 C-10 with coils and those leaf helpers,they worked slick...:crazy:

18. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The 60 & 61 front ends are my favourites of the body style. :bow:

IMO, the whole 60-66 series gets the upper hand over the uninspiring 67-72 body style. :D