Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1964 GMC suburban carryall

Discussion in 'Complete Vehicles' started by fireplug, Jan 15, 2007.

1. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Ooooh, one of my all time favorite trucks...and close by. Wish I had a place for it.

Rene

3. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Agreed! Not a bad price it would seem?

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Price looks a little steep to me, I see trucks like that down here for under $1000 all the time.

5. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

"Down there" being the difference. With our smaller population especially 30 or 40 years ago, these now classics never came to Canada in comparable numbers. Combine that with the same number of winters and even fewer proportionally exist still today. Add to that, that there really is only one 'sweet spot' in Canada where older vehicles, due to climate, have survived well (coastal BC) whereas the US has the southern states.

The climate, and survivability (or lack thereof) of classics further strains the automotive hobby in Canada, as sinking thousands of dollars into restorations, for a vehicle that you can only drive at best 8 months of the year is not as rewarding for many. Even just driving older trucks like ours kinda sucks. I've got this great fully capable 4x4 locked at both ends, and I'm worried to drive it in a snow storm for risk of rot, which is just poking it's ugly head in the crooks and crannies.

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I grew up in the midwest and understand what your talking about... but you can buy a rust free truck from down here and import it for roughly $1000-1500 less than what that guy is asking. May be just enough to help talk him down $500 from his price for the convienience of it already being there to look at in person.

7. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Yeah that's definitely the way to go. I still kinda wished I had done it that way with my Blazer. After I restored my first show worthy vehicle I told myself next time I'd pick up something down south and do all my parts shopping in person and drive home.

Pretty tough though, buying unseen. I got burned last year. I was buying a '74 Blazer from BC. Got shafted for my deposit, for months. Even if they are being honest, it's amazing how "rust free", "strong runner", and "little to certify" have VERY different meaning to different people. :D

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

And people still think I'm crazy for flying to Cali to pick up a truck from someone I trust.........:whistle:

9. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I think you either 'get it' or you don't.:D

10. tRustyK5

Yeah, I'd say $3K canadian is pretty fair for that. It'd easily be worth twice that here if the guy would get it inspected and BC registered...but I'm assuming he doesn't want to spend the cash and it probably needs a fair amount of work to pass inspection.

Kenny, I'm sending you a pm...

Rene

11. chevyguybc

chevyguybc 1/2 ton status

i know where a 69-72 2 door panel suburban is in pitt meadows

12. tRustyK5

yech...:D

I can't stand panels
    I don't like the 67-72 era of 'burbs

The 60-66 'burb is what i'm keeping my eyes open for. Way cooler styling, and not 3 blocks long. The 60-66 'burb is actually pretty short with a 115" wheelbase, and is two door. Pretty much in between a K5 and a newer 'burb for length and size.

Rene