Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1969 blazer getting back to stock

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gladyskristee, Mar 29, 2006.

1. gladyskristee

gladyskristee Newbie

Hey i got a 69 blazer that my grandfather gave me and im gonna start doing some work on it. i figured that i would replace the shocks and leaf springs for my first project. does this sound like it makes sence? and if not where should i start. it has sat for about 4 or 5 years but it runs ok and every thing that is important seems to work 4x4 ect... sugestions would be great. thanks.

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Change all the fluids. Engine oil, Antifreeze, Transfer case, Both diffs...... A tune-up:Plugs, wires, cap, rotor... Maybe even a brake job if needed. Then a lift with new shocks.

3. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I would start with things that would wear out while sitting, if you haven't already changed the fluids change them all of them, rad diffs t-case engine trans grease everything that has a grease zerk on it. From there you have to decide whether to keep it stock or not. I think many things can be improved on over stock. You could make it ride super nice with some aftermarket springs or custom springs(not all springs are created equal) I would replace all the body bushings too this will help on bodywork. Hope this helps

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Fluids.....then bushings (body, spring, etc).....then maybe swap out the front drum brakes for disks. 4-wheel drum brakes really aren't going to be much fun.

Before too much longer, you might want to clarify if you are really keeping this truck stock or modifying it for offroad. Most of the people here automatically assume that you're planning to lift it and stuff some big tires on it!! :)

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Maybe deteriorated rubber items too.....like brake lines, vaccuum lines and fuel hoses.

You can pretty much assume that anything rubber on that truck is deteriorated after 37 years.