Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1969 or 1970 ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mike_B_in_MD, Dec 19, 2000.

1. Mike_B_in_MD

Mike_B_in_MD Newbie

I have found a '69 or '70 K5 in a junk yard but can't identify it, I need help from the group. This unit is complete minus the seats, some dash parts and the engine. It is not a wreck but is rough (NO title, small dents, rust, bent bumpers, etc.) is it worth messing with or should I look for something thats better? They only want $250 for it.

Also is there any way to check the vin number on-line to see if it is clear?

Is there anything else I should know or look for before "jumping in", I'm a newbe with the K5's.

Thanks, Mike B

2. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

69 and 70's are pretty close to being the same truck. The 69 grill is a little different in that it does not have all of the little squares on the top and bottom of the main horizontal bar in the center. I think that the hood is a little more sloped on the front section. If you could post a pic I am sure that there are plenty of people here that could identify it for you. But from the way it sounds I would pick it up for $250.00 no matter what year it is. You can usually sell a first generation blazer or jimmy for alot more than that and thats if the truck is very rough.

[​IMG] I have to agree with the Puddy Cat. [​IMG]

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

The 70 has a bowtie on the center/front of the hood
    I don't think the 69 did but not positive.
    In 71 they went to the eggcrate grill and moved the bowtie to the center of the grill. 71 & 72 are very similar the easyiest way to spot a 72 is the rear view mirror glues to the windsheld and the 71 is fixed to the windshiled frame./
    Good luck and as long as the perchase is not "under the table" then go for it but make sure you get a title for it some how.....

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

4. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

The only difference in appearance from '69 to '70 is the inner grill. The '70 has the small rectangles divided into bigger rectangles. The fifth character of the VIN is the year. 9 for '69, 0 for '70.

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

5. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

Man, why can't I find those kind of deals?!! Jump on it!! 250.00 for a runner, you can't be serious!! And then, and THEN, it's a first gen. You can't buy a fender for that truck for that much money. You could easily sell it for 4xs what you bought it for and if you freshened it up a bit, a whole lot more. But I'd keep it and fix it up, then I'd have TWO early blazers. And probably no wife left.

Just get it dude, really dumb question. JJ HAHA

Buddy

I've got my dream truck and it's a 72 K-5 that is getting there!!

6. JTB

JTB 1/2 ton status

Buy it! I looked forever to find my 70 and I've never regretted it, and mine isn't even running yet. Even if you decide to sell it you will easily make money if you can pick it up for $250. First generation Blazers are very popular. Good luck.

Jeff

Don't drive it unless it says Chevy!