Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1970 3/4 ton Surburban axle swap to '73 or newer axles

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zzlorp, Jun 3, 2002.

1. zzlorp

zzlorp Newbie

1970 3/4 ton Surburban axle swap to \'73 or newer axles

Hi, I have a '70 factory 4x4 suburban (originally a 1/2 ton, and yes it is marked c10 for all you c vs. k arguing people), factory 4 speed, 205 tcase, solid knuckle '44 front and eaton rear (with detroit locker) out of a '69 1-ton (apparently, was before I got it...) and I want to know what kind of problems I am going to run into to swap in the post-'73 axles under this rig. I want a 14 bolt ff in the rear, and would take recommendations on the best open-knuckle disk-brake front end to use besides a dana 60 (would love one, but I doubt I could find or afford one easily...)

thanks...

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Re: 1970 3/4 ton Surburban axle swap to \'73 or newer axles

You should look for a 3/4 ton front axle and a 1-ton rear axle. Don't get the external hub front axle (probably the same hubs you have now). The bolts on those things always come undone and they arn't as strong as the internal hubs. The 1-ton rear is because the spring perches are the right width to bolt in. The 3/4-ton won't bolt in.

3. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Find a 8 lug disc brake front that has gears to match the eaton in there now. That eaton is as strong if not stronger than a 14b ff. And the eaton has a rounder shape it won't hang up as bad as a 14b.

4. lukefalls

lukefalls 1/2 ton status

I am not sure about your exact application, but I just swapped in a rear dana 60 into my 71 K 1500 long bed. I used a Dana 60 because it won't get hung up on the rocks like a 14 Bolt will. The 60 was out of a 72 ford truck and the spring perches were in the right place. Also the E-brake cables worked perfect. The reason I didn't find an Eaton like you have is because there are many disk brake conversions for the 60 and I am not sure of any for an Eaton. I have to admit, I know nothing about Eatons, so there may be disk brake stuff for them also. Just some food for thought.

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

People on here say the 14b ff disc brake kit works on the eaton too. I haven't done this yet so???? But if I had a Eaton with a locker that worked good I'd leave it alone and just worry about putting a disc brake front in. Why fix what ain't broke?

6. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

If you don't want to be relocating spring perches on a 14bff find a dana 60 from 72 and older. The only concern with the eaton/corporate rear is that they are notorious for leaking, apperantely it's hard to keep the gear oil in them. Like what has been previously posted find a 73 or newer 8 lug dana 44 or 10 bolt front axle with 297 u-joints and disc brakes.