Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1970 Jimmy / Front Disc Brakes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Tx70Jimmy, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Tx70Jimmy

Tx70Jimmy Registered Member

From what I've read on here, the easiest way to get disc on the from of my '70 Jimmy is to swap out the axle for a later model with disc brakes. Will an axle from a mid 80's GM work? I found an EBAY auction for a military surplus axle with disc that is stated to fit '82 through '88, the buy now option was $395. Any help would be appreciated. My Jimmy will not see any hardcore use, as it will mainly be a weekend vehicle for my family.

Also, I'm looking for a rear seat with brackets. I live in east Texas, near Tyler.

Thanks

2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

edited cause i was wrong

also that militery axle is either the cheapiest 60f i have seen in a long time or a really expensive 10 bolt

Last edited: Jan 19, 2005
  3. chevy_muscle

chevy_muscle 1/2 ton status

Search on my posts.

I posted the same question for a 69 blazer and got my answers.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

same perches

its 68 older that have shorter leaf length, thats all different

69up is 44.5" length

70-up open knuckle

can swap outers if you wante,d but might as well swap entire axle instead of disassembling two

good luck

5. Tx70Jimmy

I thought the same and have emailed the guy on Ebay to ask what the axles are.

6. bigred81

bigred81 1/2 ton status

If you need the disk brakes I have a friend back at home that has a complete disk brake front axle out of a 1972 k-10 with 3.08 gears. Last time I talked with him all he wanted for it was $100 for the complete axle. Since you are in texas it would make it easier to get it around. He is also a member on here but he rarely ever takes a look. I think his name on here is derail01.

bigred81

7. Tx70Jimmy

Thanks for the lead on the 44. I found a posting from derail01 and sent a message, I hope he looks soon. Do you have a way of contacting him? Also, what town is he in? Thanks

8. bigred81

bigred81 1/2 ton status

I came this home this weekend and I will have him shoot you an e-mail when I see him later today. Send him an e-mail your with your number so that he can call you. I will call him a little later to tell him to check his e-mail. He lives in Kenedy, Texas which is about 1 hour south of San Antonio.

bigred81

9. derail01

derail01 Newbie

My name is Derrall. Bigred81 finally got ahold of me. My email address is derail01@yahoo.com, and my cell is 830-534-9489. I have the complete dana 44 out of a 72 4x4. Its in good shape and came out of a driving truck. We converted the truck to 3/4 ton. It's yours if you want it. Bigred would be in College Station so it would not be to hard to go pick it up. He could take the axle that far, you could pay him and then he would give it to me. Give me a call or email me.