Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1972 to 1984 Frame Swap..? Help please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by amcgeh01, Apr 3, 2007.

1. amcgeh01

amcgeh01 Registered Member

Hi Everyone,

I am hoping someone can answer my questions here because I have tried everywhere else.. Even the Chevy dealer and they were not sure..?

I recently acquired a 1972 GMC Jimmy - aka Blazer and discovered that the frame is well, pretty rusted... I came across a frame from a 1984 Blazer and was hoping that I could find verifiable evidence that it could be swapped over before spending time & money getting it.. The 72's body is in ok condition as that portion was covered most of the time but everything else is pretty bad...

Has anyone done something like this and if so, were there any kinks in the plan... My research has found that the frames are the same from 73-to 91 but that's all I could find on the internet - no mention of the 69-72 models..?

If anyone can help, please let me know ASAP as I have to make a decision before the donor finds a new home.. :mad:

Thanks,

A.J.

2. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I have not done the swap but I can tell you this

Even a 74-84 frame is different---the humps under the rear passanger area are completly different.

with a little bit of fabrication on body mounts (on the frame) i don't think it would be a difficult task.

3. Randy92782

Randy92782 1 ton status

i would say 73-91 would be the same but i may be wrong. i'd have to check it out but scooby dann sounds like he knows what he's talkin bout there

4. amcgeh01

Well....?

I got a few responses back.. One stating that pretty much nothing lines up in the same holes... Wow, that idea may now be going out the door but I will wait to hear from a few more of you kind souls.. Thank...

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

69-72 frames are different. Next version was from 73-77 which had no rear footwell. The last iteration is 78-91 which had a rear footwell behind the front seats. The footwell necessitated the rise in the frame to happen about 18" farther rearward.

Kind of surprising to hear of a frame rotted before the body though...

Rene

6. amcgeh01

So the bottom line is - The 72 cab will not line up on the 84 frame correct..? I can't be the only person who has thought of this..? Someone out there has had to have at least tried it... Will wait some more before the final decision...