Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1973 K-5 Smog Pump Required?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dontoe, Jun 24, 2004.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I bought my newest Blazer back in March thinking I could install headers and aluminum intake and all with no problems. Now I go to get an Inspection sticker and I find I need a /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif smog pump, lines that go to the exhaust manifold and vapor cannister. They even said I need to replace the K&N air cleaner with a stock one. Any ideas ????????

2. monsterjim

monsterjim 1/2 ton status

try some real high octane fuel and add 107 octane boost to it and go to a different place, the fuel will be burning cleaner and hopfully the test wont pick anything up. Don't know what the deal with the K&N is though. I think they sell something at auto parts store that almost guarantees you to pass you emmisions test, but don't know if it works or not, might ask em. lol

3. dontoe

Oh we don't have a tailpipe test on older than 1995. That was just a visual.

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Don't see how that could be on a '73. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I had a '75 and had no problems passing the sniffer here in Colorado. It was a completely modified motor: headers, cam, intake, and carb. But no K&N.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

If you put 3 or 4 bottles of isopropanol "dry gas" in with about a 1/4 tank or less of fuel it will help a great deal to lower the hydrocarbons--the "gaurenteed to pass"stuff at the stores is pretty much the same thing.Fill your tank up full after you pass the test,that high of a concentration of alcohol may lossen up some gunk in the fuel system or make it ping.Also take it for at least a 15 minite ride on the highway to thourougly warm it up--most times that I flunked the sniffer test was because I had to sit in the lot idling for a long time waiting for the previous inspection to get done,and have my turn--by then it was cooled off enough to fail the test.You can also play with the timing and pull the pcv valve out of the valve cover to help lower the CO and hydrocarbons too.

6. JDNobodi

JDNobodi 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh we don't have a tailpipe test on older than 1995. That was just a visual.

[/ QUOTE ]

The key word is visual . It does not matter if truck passes the sniffer test - they will fail it because it is missing smog equipment.

What is the matter? You can't get a smog pump core at a junk yard, or you're missing other smog equipent?

7. JDNobodi

JDNobodi 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You may have to put on headers that has the air injection tubes.

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

OUCH /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif 75 and back only need to pass sniffer, AZ doesn't even pop the hood that old . Your state is /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

9. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

you should read my experience with the cali EPA. there's actually a federal law that states you can not remove any somg equipment from a vehicle if it came with it.

you can read all about it in the first gen section.

ARQ.

10. dontoe

Well I guess I will put the crap back on. Thought I was gonna be before the emissions stuff when I bought it. Have to start looking for a 1st Gen I suppose. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

11. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Well I guess I will put the crap back on. Thought I was gonna be before the emissions stuff when I bought it. Have to start looking for a 1st Gen I suppose. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Firt gen or not, whatever smog contorl devices your vehicle came with, its not supposed to be removed. Even if you are exempt, you can still get notices to get a smog check. Atleast in CA.