Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1974 blazer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazin_blazer, Aug 10, 2005.

1. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

i found a k5 today i-6 auto tranny and a 205 transfer the owner is second owner and swears it is all stock from what i could tell it seems to be..and its above average condition compared to others i've seen. he said he got it from a duck hunting club and the odometer was correct milage at 28 387. the only thing that looks funny 2 me is the front axel looks like a full time 4wd unit but the transfer has 4lo neutral 2hi and 4 hi from top to bottom of the boot ring..i crawled under it and its a 205 transfer ...has any1 ever seen a 2wheel/4wheel blazer with the full time front axel? :confused:

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Are you sure its a 205 ? Is there a 3 bolt cover over the idler shaft in the rear center ?

3. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

yeh never heard of a 74 with a 205 unless it was swapped in there. but you could run a 205 with a full time axle. i just means yer running slugs instead of hubs.

4. blazin_blazer

hmmmm.

not sure what u mean i looked at the 2 shift pins that push in and out as i was told they are they only ones that shift that way, but come to think of it it seemed to have more linkage connected to the shift rods than my '80 model has and i'm sure its a 205 has plate on rear np205....except it has the slip joint on the back of transfer none in drive shaft

5. LongIslander26

LongIslander26 1/2 ton status

74 Blazer

According to the Chevy brochures for 1974, the 6 cyl Blazer did come with the 205 TC and "Conventional 4wd", but it also says that the "Full time 4wd, unlike Conventional 4WD, eliminates the need to have to lock and unlock the front hubs". I'd say you have the stock TC and engine, but possibly a different front axle. There was a "Freewheeling hubs" option as well. 6 cylinder and manual tranny blazers got the 205, all others got the 208 and "Full Time" 4wd. Check the sticker in the glove box door to read the factory installed options. They actually still wrote them in english back then and not just a bunch of factory codes.

Here's the site for the brochures if you want to see. It covers GM trucks for alot of model years, and is worth checking out.

http://brochures.slosh.com/

6. pauly383

Not a single truck in the 70's got the np208 . You mistyped 208 instead of 203 :D

Very well could be a swapped in 80 and later 205 then ( slip gives it away ) . I have a 203 sitting here , and there aren't two shafts for shifting .

7. blazin_blazer

i read the glove box door

it gave no idea as to what it had mechanically except fo the i-6 and hydromatic trans tan interior exterior cover white auxillary top?what ever they called it that i have no idea oh and it said it came with amradio..does the 208 have the 2 shift pins in front with some diferent type linkages..the man swears it stock froma duck hunting club he used to belong to and it stayed at their camp odometer shows less than 29000 miles i think i may buy it then figure out what is going on with it......he's asking $1000 and it has very little rust compared to othersive seen compared to some i've seen i would say this 1 is nearly rust free

8. LongIslander26

My bad...

"You mistyped 208 instead of 203" ( Whoops! Damn fingers! ;) )

Even though the Odo SAYS "29000", it only has 5 numbers to begin with. For all you know it could be 329,000, right? The inline 6 Blazer for 1974 came with an NP205 TC. If it's in that good of condition, 1000 bucks seems pretty reasonable either way. Did you drive it?

9. blazin_blazer

no no we're getting confused

the slip in the back of transfer is in my 80 i already have...i said the shift rods on the 74 looked like my 80 205.......i'm almost sure it a 205 behind an auto behind an i-6....but it has what looks like fulltime front axel and he says he is second owner and was member of hunting club he bought it from and that nothing had been changed on it

10. pauly383

A 208 , in my other truck , has only one lever attached not unlike auto trannies .

11. LongIslander26

"and he says he is second owner and was member of hunting club he bought it from and that nothing had been changed on it"...

...as far as HE knows. He has no way of nowing what the original owner had done to it, even if they are in the same duck hunting club.

12. blazin_blazer

there is away to tell

there is a little tang on the numbers that roll and when it rolls over it breaks this little piece off but have to buy to be sure...i drove it around the block it seemed alright on take off makes me wonder what gears the diffs have with a i-6 i think i'm just going to buy it ...it may turn out to be all stock with original miles showing that was special ordered and be a 1 of a kind...

13. LongIslander26

Go scope out that link I posted, and look on the specifications page. The I-6 came with some pretty low gears, which would be great in a trail rig and a V8.

14. blazin_blazer

that is true

but he said it sat at camp for long periods of time it never left camp untill last month when they all decided they were to old to hunt any more and did away with the lease they had on the land and he gave all the members sum $ to get the blazer as they owned it as a co-op deal..not makin excuses for the old man...just what he told me he bought it planning on keeping it and his kids told him he couldn't drive anymore because he backed into his daughters car and took out some of his neighbors mailboxes...his son wanted it and his daughters son but he said he be damed if he sell it to any of them he's carring the title around in his wallet and keeping keys in his pocket like they were gold...i may try talk him down to $800

15. LongIslander26

Go for it!

I'm not saying the old guy is lying to ya, you just gotta be careful nowadays. Like I said, with the 205 and low gear rearend, but not having seen it myself, it's probably worth a grand. Build yourself a monster V8 to stick in it and go have some fun. :pimp:

16. blazin_blazer

yea sounds fun

the only thing is i'm scared to do that until i research it fully pull the dash see if it actuallyonly has 29000 miles i hate to ruin a 1 of a kind or even just a rare1 my 80 is ready to take me where i want to go and i just bought a 69, that i plan on gutting the 80 and putting it in the stripped out 69..because they made less than 5000 '69 model i know it wouldn't be stock but thats what i'm thinking with the 74 with the little 6 with gas the way it is it could be 1 cool daily driver..i was just try'n to learn more about it as i never have seen 1 like it and i've seen alot i've owned8...this will be 9 if i get it and i've crawl around under and worked on over 50 i don't want to make the same mistake twice....i once tubbed out and subframed and 496 gorilla in CHEVELLE then i found out it was a copo ...there were no records kept on the chevelles just the camaro but gm estimated i had chopped 1 of less than 300 made. i actually called gm got shuffled around until i got sum1 who knew what they were talking about..and he told me about no records on the chevelles and he took a guess of about 300 copo chevelle that is why i want to put the 74 back original with maybe a slight lift 2" and q buckshots on stock rims with hubcaps and see how good mpg i can get..thanx for all the replies keep them coming if you have sumthing to add or point out other sources of info or just tell me what u think

Last edited: Aug 10, 2005