Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1974 Jimmy A/C Retrofit

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TallCowGirl, Jul 31, 2006.

1. TallCowGirl

TallCowGirl Registered Member

Hi Guys...I'm interested in installing air conditioning in a 1974 Jimmy that never had it. I'd like to use stock parts for the interior (vent controls, evaporator box, etc). What holes will I have to cut in the firewall? Do you know of any sources for the stock parts? (aftermarket under dash stuff is available but I'd like to make the inside look stock.) If any of you have done this or can help, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Diana

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Your best bet is to go to the junkyard, find a complete system and pull it. Then as your installing it, replace any parts that need replacing on it. Alot of the parts can still be had from GM itself, eBay is always a great source for NOS parts if your looking for perfection of looks and performance. Most of the maint. parts can be had from a local auto parts store.
    The holes in the firewall are very different. You will need to patch a section of your current hole and make a new larger hole in a different location. Take a large piece of cardboard with you to the junkyard and cut/trace the outline of the holes you need.

3. Blazr77400

Blazr77400 1/2 ton status