Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1974 k5 restoration

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by skykrawler, Jul 23, 2006.

1. skykrawler

skykrawler Registered Member

I just recently bought a 74 k5, it needs alot of work, it has an oil leak, a tranny leak and the rear diff also leaks. Body is in bad shape as well. Needs new fenders and rear quarter panels. I am looking to do some restoring on this bad boy, But I dont know anything about chevy, this is why I am asking you guys, can you help me with this, I am looking for ideas and pictures of some things to do. If you can please help that would be great.

2. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Do an advanced search up top oand search titles only for whatever your looking to do. You'll find more pictures and ideas than you know what to do with. Can't find what your lookin for there, then post a question. Be warned, you don't have any idea how much a lot of work is til you start tearing stuff off of it and find crap you'd never even thought of before that needs to be fixed.

3. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

use the x4 method, its gonna take 4 times as much money 4 times as much time and 4 times as much frustration as you orginally think. Good luck

4. skykrawler

is it worth it though? When I got it, it was leaking tranny fluid bad, and engine oil and i need to replace the steering box. Then I need to tear apart the inside and clean that out. Fender and rear quarter panels it needs as well. where can I find those cheap? I am looking to make this a daily driver for now and then make it an OHV, but I am just wondering if forget the DD and go straight to the OHV? any suggestions? I am looking to do some custom interior work as well. I am new to the whole chevy thing, so any help will be highly appreciated.

5. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Lots of variables. Depends on if you have the money, time, and patience to be a daily driver. Mine's a weekend huntin rig. If it's not running, I can always drive my other truck and vice versa. Moneywise, mine wouldn't be worth it as a daily driver, but I've got about a 30 mile commute.

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I've got a '74 Jimmy and also plan to restore it but not anytime soon. I got it mainly cuz it was dirt cheap. Imagine my surprise when I found out it had factory 4.10 gears. It already has a 4" suspension lift, too.
    The body on it is so rusted, I'm thinking of doing a full ground up restoration and some how trying to come up with funds to purchase a full fiberglass tub with matching fenders, hood, doors, etc. But those cost an arm and a leg, so I will more likely concentrate on restoring the frame, drivetrain, etc.
    I understand completely that its not going to be something done in 6 months or even a year. Its going to be a long term project but something I hope will be rewarding once its completed.

7. skykrawler

sweet man we can help each other out with this stuff. They come stock with 4:10 gears? I only paid 500 bucks for the blazer so dirt cheap. Keep me informed

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yep, I was shocked to find out about the 4.10 gears but yes, they did come stock with them. A few others here have some, too.
    I paid $150 for mine. :bow: :haha:

9. lugnut

lugnut 1/2 ton status

MAN I feel cheated now!!:mad: I paid $800 for my 75 and its got the 3:07 gears.

10. skykrawler

I just found out the the axles are welded. Not to happy about that, seeing how I was looking to make this a daily driver. I went and ripped out the carpet out of it last night. I am looking to do some Herculiner stuff or the Rhino liner, has anyone done that? Is it hard to do yourself?

11. lugnut

lugnut 1/2 ton status

I know how you feel about the welded rears. I hate to see anyone do it. I have used the Heurculiner in some of my Heeps. I liked it. Dont get any on you. How is your floor ? I'm haveing to replace both front floor pans on mine. Looks like the insulation held water and rust took it from there. The rear floor only has a couple of spots.

12. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I picked up one this past year too. It's a '74 Blazer that has the 4:10 gears (Tow Package from GM). I need to replace the seats, carpeting and some rust in one of my rocker panels (another ck5er is saving me a piece of his rocker panel when he changes to sliders on his rock buggy)... and could use better front fenders..... Here is mine

[​IMG]

I may take it back to stock colors which was a mustered color gold.... or may repaint it all Silver

13. lugnut

lugnut 1/2 ton status

WOW !! That old girl looks good for her age. It must be nice living in the land of no rust.

14. blaze4999

blaze4999 Registered Member

Hey, I have a 74 that I just put my 4" lift on with 35 bfg mud terrains It's a full convertable with the 350/465/205 from the factory. If you need any help, I can try to answer any questions. Mine runs like a champ! I love it!