Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1975 3/4 ton axles good?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Xtremegmc80, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Xtremegmc80

Xtremegmc80 1/2 ton status Premium Member

hey after work today i went to the junk yard near my house. and saw the truck thats been sitting there for a while. the junk yard guy is my friend he say he was suprised to see how nice that 1975 chevy truck rides and runs. so i went to look at it.. its rottened out like hell! so i looked at the axles.. ooo its a 3/4 ton. 14 bolt rear.. front i would say d44. but i didnt want to buy it til i get ur options. it has a 410 gears, looks fairly good.. guy wants 500 for whole truck.. i dont want the engine, tranny. so ill try to offer him 300 for it.. what do u think? 1975 too old? 89 thousand miles. just dont want to be suckered.. thanks

2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

should be a d44, never know though, but stock that is what it would have came with. axles are prolly fine. worst case they would need all new seals, bearing & brakes, but if it is a running driving truck u should be able to tell what they need.

around here that pair of axles goes for $400-500. don;t know about your area.

3. Xtremegmc80

im aware of the seals, brakes, etc.. just wondering about the axles cause someone say newer axles is better so im curious about that. my truck is a half ton now, and will be used at weekend driver, crusin at nights etc. plus offroading too aswell.. not too extreme like rock crawling.. trail yes, tight trails yes, mudding yes. rock crawling some. not major.. thanks for ur reply.. anyone else? would like to have a debate about that. anyones input is good. need to know pro and cons about them too.. will go back tomorrow to take pics and post them.. will try and get numbers off of the axles too.. thanks!;)

4. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

old axles just have more wear in them. imo the d44f is stronger than a 10 bolt, all be it not by much. what do u mean by old axles are weaker? what are u comparing.

5. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

my 74 3/4 has a d44 and 14bff rear with 4.10s i needed to clean em up a bit but other then that they were good i would say do it dude

6. Xtremegmc80

im not comparing anything.. just someone told me that newer axles are stronger than older ones..

7. Xtremegmc80

yeah im leaning on to buying them.. it'll be a complete truck tho.. minus the engine n tranny.. its a 350/400/203. runs great.. drives nice.. for a rottened out truck..

8. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I would do it also, you should have everything you need by buying the complete truck to swap them in.

9. Xtremegmc80

my engine, tranny, transfer case is already built. i got a 350/350/205.. i cld always use the 350/400 for a spare..:thinking: and ditch the 203. ill have to think about that... and have a long talk with my lady....:crazy: :o

10. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

I'll take the 203! And those axels should have flat top knuckels on them, so thats a plus. And 4.10 is good for what you want to do.

I just saw the pics of your truck, your really moving along! Must be a PA thing.:D

11. Xtremegmc80

yep it is! i wanted to work on getting the cab off today but it started to rain..:( so i know how u feel! at least u got more work done than i did! and thanks for reminding me about the flat top. ill have to check that out.. will let u know if i get the truck.. then will need ur help. plus u'll get the 203 if i get the truck complete..

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  12. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

hmm I just meant the axle parts to do the swap, but if you can get them to throw in the engine and trans I'd do it. Cept I don't think the 400 from that combo will bolt up to your 205.

13. Xtremegmc80

yep. i dont think so. but one thing is.. grab the whole thing.. if i do that.. 400 is gone, and 465 is coming baby!:D

14. Xtremegmc80

well i wasnt feeling good this morning, (told my boss that:D ) anyhow i called off.. i deserve it! havent gotten any days off in 6 or so months! and what sucks! is i work 98 miles away.. thats 1 way! driving my 03 silverado.. man that truck is great on gas! i get mostly 22 mpg. and i have a pukin 2001 saturn L200, with 4 cylinder and average is 28mpg:( so i rather drive the truck.. bigger tank.. less fill ups, and runs better since saturn wont go up the hill too good.. needs work.. never got around to it! and average is 4k miles a month. thats abt 24k miles already in 6 months.. dohhh.. too many miles on my truck and my car in very little time! am thinkin abt quittin the job soon and get odd job til i find a new permat. job. anyhow, enough of my bsing.. off to the junkyard to snap some pics of the truck!:laugh: will post pic soon of the axles and truck.

15. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

1975 3/4 ton axles were under my 83 for a few years. the front was a dana 44 with flat top knuckles. I eventually parted it out when I went to a 60 and got more out of it then I had invested even with the rebuild.

Buy the whole truck. use the 203 for a doubler. swap the axles into your truck. sell the engine and trans. scrap the rest. steel is still paying well.

if you got the axles for $300 and the front is a flattop you can part out the 44 and have a free 14 bolt and some money for your time.

sell it like this.
    8 lug hubs and spindles. no less then $120 I have gotten more
    flattop knuckles. $100+
    gears $50+
    carrier $30+
    shafts $20+
    yoke $10+ if its a u-bolt type, strap type throw it in the scrap pile
    cover $10+ if its the stock HD piece somone will buy it for a trail spare

all those numbers are lowest actual amounts I have gotten for parts on Ebay. I have the ability to tap the knuckle so I get a more for them. most of the stuff ends up going to california.

16. Xtremegmc80

hmm sounds like a good deal.. will have to talk to the guy again.. looks like i got the rears.. ill prolly give him 400 for the whole truck.. pics coming up shortly..

17. Xtremegmc80

pictures...

it was hard to read numbers. so didnt get it, it has a flat top knuckles. what kind of 4x4 hub is it? full time? or what? shown in pic with the rim. thanks.. need to know soon!

GMC PROJECT 025.jpg

GMC PROJECT 027.jpg

GMC PROJECT 028.jpg

GMC PROJECT 030.jpg

GMC PROJECT 031.jpg

18. Xtremegmc80

73 to 75 blazer i found.. some good stuff on it.. i mite part it out soon.. and pic of my truck that the rears is going on..

GMC PROJECT 026.jpg

GMC PROJECT 021.jpg

19. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

They might have been referring to D60's, because the older ones had neck-down inner shafts. Other than that, I think D44's stayed pretty much the same :confused:

20. Xtremegmc80

thanks for refreshing my memory! thats what my friend was talking about! thanks!

well i got the whole truck for 300 plus gave them my corsica thats been sittin for a while.. and he wanted 300 for the rears.. so did i make a deal abt the whole truck?