Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1975 Blazer Transfer Case

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LovesDunes, Nov 7, 2005.

1. LovesDunes

LovesDunes Registered Member

Hi Everyone. Here is an easy question. I just purchased a 1975 Blazer. The transfer case shifter knob offers no explanation on what is what. Can you guys tell me what all the way forward is. 4 Lo? 4 Hi? I played around with it this weekend but did not seem to learn anything other than it can sure make some scary noises. I'm going to go buy a manual on the way home tonight to learn some more. Do I need to be in neutral to get it back to 2x? Or into 4 Lo? Or park? I kept having to turn the truck off to put it back in 2x. With the truck running and I put it or try to put it in park all kinds of grinding noises were going on. Has nice looking warn hubs up front. I got lots of exercise hopping out turning those things.

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

It should be a NP203 chain drive or NP205 gear drive transfer case.

203 pattern from firewall toward seat is: Low-loc, Low, Neutral, Hi, Hi-loc.

205 should be 4-Low, Neutral, 2-High, 4-High.

3. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I have a '75 as well. It came with a 203. I have a 205 knob on mine, great to confuse people. :haha: You do have to have the transmission in neutral to shift the t-case. If the t-case is out of adjustment a little it will make it hard to shift- lots of bad noises! :eek1: Good luck!

4. supernaut

supernaut Registered Member

If it has a NP203 then the locking hubs may indicate that it has a part time kit in it, or that they were put in in anticipation of a part time kit. here is shift pattern info for with and without part time kits installed on a NP203. This info does not apply if you have the superman NP205.

HERE is a link to the milemarker reviews on this site where I took this quote

there should be a metal tag on your transfer case that will plainly state what it is. My NP203 in my '75 K5 has the tag on the front side of the t-case above and a little to the left of the front drive shaft yoke. grab a rag and a flashlight. once you wipe it off it should be shiny metal/colored (mine is shiny metal and blue) and easily distinguishable from the rest of the dull grey/mud color of your t-case.

5. LovesDunes

LovesDunes Registered Member

Thanks guys. I will crawl under it when I can and check out what I have. So back in the day you could actually shift the transfer case into low and still be in 2 wheel drive? That is cool. I wish my F-350 would do that for moving my big ole trailer around.

Here is a picture of the Blazer out in Glamis before we hit the bigger dunes.

[​IMG]

6. 75GmcJimmy4x4

75GmcJimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

im having the same problem with my 75 jimmy i think im just a newb or something ......... shifting a transfer case shouldn't be brain surgery