Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1976 Chalet

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NMJImmy, Jul 23, 2002.

1. NMJImmy

NMJImmy Registered Member

What is one of these worth, and what should you look for when buying one? I'm looking to expand my collection and found one for sale for what I think is a reasonable price $1800, but I think I could talk him down. This would be a cool addition! Thanks.

2. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

theres been a lot of talk about those on the board, do a search and see what it comes up with...
    apparently they're pretty rare, so that price for a decent one would seem like a steal to me...
    have you seen the condition that its in? i mean you cant get a blazer where i'm from for 1800 bucks if it runs and isnt half rust...
    sounds like a good deal to me

3. NMJImmy

I've found lots of factory info about the Chalet, but would really would like to find out from other people's experiences what should really be looked for. I know most of the stock Blazer's weakness I'd just like some Chalet specific problem/items to look for to help in my decision. Thanks

4. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

5. NMJImmy

Thanks for the post, but I had read their entire site and most of the links, but still could not find any specifics from owners as what to look for when purchasing one. Does anyone from CK5 own one?

6. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Try contacting AZBLAZER (doug) nice guy. Im guessing if its in NM and rust free with most of the parts its worth 1800 bucks.

7. NMJImmy

Thanks for the contact I'll send him a PM.

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Are you talking just the camper portion or a whole complet K5 with it attached? If it's a rust free truck that's a darn good price just for the truckl little lone a Very rare Chalet. Man if I was closer I would be buying that myself. I have never seen one in the SE.
    Get with Doug AZBlazer (no longer in AZ he's moved to CO). We have two AZBlazer's on the site. This is the AZ you want. http://coloradok5.com/forums/showprofile.php?Cat=&User=AZBLAZER&page=29&what=showmembers He is probably the most knowledgable person on the face of the planet about these. The Slosh site is his doing.
    He also has a Registry. Check the glove box door code sheet and see if it's a real Chalet. the real ones would have had the camper option listed and it also got some other heavy duty parts to handle the extra weight.

9. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

There was one for sale here in central Arkansas about a month ago. It had some of the normal K5 problems, rocker-rot, etc. They were asking about $6500 and I think it sold. $1800 is a damn good price even just for a Blazer alone.

10. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Yes they are rare...however...beauty is in the eye of the beholder. List price new was around $13K fully loaded...most people today browse our web site and think they have found the Holy Grail....and a way to finance that new BMW they have allways wanted....so back to my first statement...lol. I paid $3500 for mine years ago in Tucson Az....knowing full well about the extensive body rot problem...however as i stated on our web site...had to have it....$3500 later....i have a really nice machine and still have the rust...lol...but TBI will be a reality very soon...hopefully afore the BBO2....and i will never part with her.

So $1800 is a damn good deal if the camper is intact...ie: all the pieces are there...and 2ndly working. Finding the original parts for a 26 year old camper is like finding hens teeth...lol. The K5 itself will have rusty rockers and most likely bedside rot where the camper bolts on as the hardtop does...side windows and forward windows of the campers tend to leak and let water drip and roll down into the floor pan area and eat afore mentioned parts...a chalet thing.

Advise:
    1) Repair the K5 and keep it mated together if all original...why? Because when it comes time to insure your new found treasure....original Chalets were titled as MHB's...= Motor Home Bodies...= cheap full coverage insurance.

2) Unmodified they stop like a sherman tank...add 85 up K5 - K10 master and booster...reverse lines...bleed...stops like cadillac!

3) Due to camper overhang....caster gets extremely out of wack at highway speeds...making for white knuckle adventures...cure= rear sway bar....and rear airbags set at about 15 to 20 psi...

Any other questions please email or even call me at 970-250-3800....but i do ask for the campers serial number and build date to help us determine how many were really built...thanx.

Azblazer

11. NMJImmy

I think the owner got word about the rareness of this vehicle and is now being real wishy/washy about selling it. I'm still working on him tho! Here's a link to the ad.

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/2/2/29445422.htm

Looks like all of AZBLAZER's pics. Thanks for the all the info, I really wanted to make an informed decision before I went over there cash in hand.

12. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

MAN I wish one would show up around here in that kind of condition for that kind of price. I would buy it in a hear beat. Well from the picture it looks right. the paint on the body matches the paint on the camper. The truck looks fairly rust free too. Drop a late model FI engine in it and go.

13. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

well grimmy it's funny you metion that /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif i gotta neighbor down the street who just happens to have a chalet not attached to a blazer in kinda rough shape that he might be willing to sell. i can check and see if he wants to sell it, if ya want

14. K5Crazy

K5Crazy Registered Member

When I was a kid are neighbors had a GMC version of the Chalet.
    I had always thought they put a camper on the back of a truck then cut a hole in the back of the cab. Shows how much I know. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif Wish they still had it, I would have bought it from them. Good luck in your search.
    Ken

15. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

There is still a blazer Chalet for sale here in the Austin Texas area.. he was last asking $2,000 for it.. and it had no rot !!! I looked at it pretty darn close..and it was completely intact..
    If anyone is interested.. i'll see if it's still there.