Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1976 stepside K10 for $300...Actually, it's prolly not $300

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Jan 30, 2007.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

This truck has been on the side of a local road near me for over a month. I stopped to check it out on 12/15, then got distracted and didn't follow-up on it. I stopped by and got the number off the windshield again this morning, then I just went over and heard it run tonight. We couldn't take it for a drive cause one tire was flat, and we think it ran out of gas.

It sounds like a dragster, headers into strait pipes, dumping behind the doors.
    It ran pretty good, took a little effort to fire it up, I have a feeling it was warmed up earlier in the day, it's been sitting for months and started way too good for a 200k carb'd truck..
    It ran ok when it didn't stall out, revved when I gassed it.

-It has an SM465, but I couldn't test it because it stalled out and we think it was out of gas.
    -Any ideas on the TC? It was big, looked gear driven and part-time. 205?
    -Rockers are rusted out
    -There are stickers all over the cab (I hate stickers)
    -Underbody is a little rusty, but not that bad.
    -It's barebones, the only pulleys on this motor are the main, water pump, and alternator. :eek1: :eek1: :bow:

I was thinking of getting it to beat up, throw junk in to transport, maybe put a plow rig together, and go wheelin again. But I have doubts about driving this thing 3 hours to serious wheeling spots, and I doubt my little LS will happily trailer it. The minivan will most definately not.

It's basically a POS, but it's a functional (supposedly) half ton 4x4. That's the big appeal to me. Well, that and no emissions, so we could put a jet engine under the hood and still pass inspection. :haha: :haha: :haha:

If I had garage space, I'd immediately buy it and tuck it away to work on with my boy(s), maybe spend some time on it with him and make it his first car. Er, maybe second...my first car didn't last too long. :whistle:

Maybe I can buy it and rent arizona storage space from one of you guys. I'll load my bike in the back and drive out, then ride home. :haha: :haha: :haha: Do I sound like a desperate rider trapped by winter?

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

If it runs and drives, it's well worth it

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Sounds like a great truck to me!!!

4. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i'd go for it

5. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

x two

6. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Buy it and go beat it into the ground

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

cant lose,why not??..

The fact scrap is bringing 110 bucks a ton makes it worth buying!--even if you decided you hated it and junked it,you'd at least break even..but if you don't get it,some scrapper WILL--and there goes a nice SM465/NP205 into the crusher,along with a running motor,which alone is worth 200 bucks easy..

I saw a truck nearly the same as my 82 K20 on Craigslist about 2 weeks ago--6.2,8' Fisher Plow ,recently rebuilt TH400 with 5K miles,new starter and injector pump..was rusty though..asking price was 300/BO!..I sent an E-mail as soon as I read the ad--if my truck needed a motor or tranny,they would want at least 300 from a boneyard!..but the guy had sold it two hours earlier..:doah: :mad:

Next day in the "auto parts" colum on Craigslist,there was a 6.2 motor for 600 bucks,front and rear 4.10 axles for 300 a pair,the TH400 was going for 400/BO..8' Fisher Plow setup for 600/BO,etc..the ad was two towns away from the original ad,so guess which truck it was that was chopped up in one day?...:mad:

I don't really NEED another truck,but anything like that for 300 bucks I'll do my best to snatch right up!..like I said,I could even JUNK it and make money...but I'd most likely keep it for parts or a yard truck..:crazy:

8. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

DO IT!!!!if it moves under its own power,its worth it.if anything park it in front of your neighbors.:D

9. boggerless

i just remembered, Mike (Supreme70) and i just put a step side bed on his truck today. Mike told me that a guy in Canada wanted to buy it for the tailgate. $800.00 for the tailgate????that could make it worth it.:D

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

My dad checked it out in daylight for me a little more today, I didn't realize I'd be competing with my brother in law for it... :rotfl:

He said the bed is rotted pretty bad, the tailgate is barely hangin on. I guess I was in a hurry when I checked it out. I don't remember looking too much at the gate, just that it had funky clips holding it closed.

My dad is pushing me to buy it and sell the drivetrain. We'll see. It's an easy truck to work on, though, and it has like no inspection req's, so I could almost do whatever I wanted under it. Plus, with points, it'll still be driving when we get hit with an EMP. :rotfl:

11. boggerless

Ratch,just get it. rust is rust.the bed we put on Supreme70s truck had no floor at all.we had to break out old wood to get it bolted on.what is so cool about the drivetrain??1/2 ton junk like mine?maybe i miss read something when i read your thread Ratch.:laugh: help me big daddy.:haha: :haha: :haha:

12. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, it's half ton junk, but a running 350 on a 465/205 combo is occasionally somewhat sought after around here. Nothing huge, I could snare at least $500 for just that yanked out, then part anything that might be worth anything left. Probably not worth the trouble in the end...

13. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Shouldnt there be power steering pulley too? I didnt think these trucks came with manual steering...

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Manual steering, no power steering setup... But if I wanted to retrofit it, I have a box, pump, and hoses.

15. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Well apparently I misheard something...

My brother went over today to offer them $200 for it, and the guy at the door told him no less than $2200!!

I'm sitting here thinking "WTF mate??" She told me "we were asking five, then went down to 3, but now we'll take $250" or something close to that. I first thought she meant thousands, but she definately said something to make me think it was hundreds.

The guy told my brother the blue book value on it was $3000. I dunno what he's smoking, but there's no way a buyers guide would rate that truck more than $1500.

What do you guys think?

BTW, it's a rust bucket, and I found the old wood bed planks still under the new ones, badly rotted away... I checked it out and took some pics this morning, I'll post them later to get some more feedback from you guys.

If $2000 is not an error, all my interest in this truck has evaporated...

16. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

300 yes, 2000.....hell no! that guy is out of his mind for sure. if the truck was in good shape, yes I would pay that but not a rust bucket.

17. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

She just called me back, $2200 is the price. I guess when she said "twenty two hundred" I didn't hear the "twenty". Plus, I didn't think it was very realistic that someone would start out asking $5000, then drop to $4000, $3000, $2500, etc.
    $1000 I could understand, that's what I was thinking of flipping it for, but more than that I just can't see happening. Craigslist has better condition trucks for around that, and this thing wasn't a great base for restoring.

Oh well, so much for a beater stepside... My wife will be happy...

I took these pics this morning, but they don't really show the rust... It's pretty bad. I also have underbody pics of the bed floor that show the lengthwise planks...under the new planks.

dscn0303.jpg

dscn0304.jpg

dscn0305.jpg

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  18. boggerless

just think of the fun of old trucks.