Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1976 toyota????

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by mud390, May 4, 2005.

1. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Ok, so a guy I work with has a 1976 2wd Toyota pickup for sale. He wants a whopping $500 for it. It has a 20R engine, 5 sp manual tranny with a fairly new clutch and the tranny was rebuilt about a year ago. The truck has something like 3??,??? miles on it. He's not totally sure. The guy that owned it before him also works with me and he was pretty particular about the truck. Its a long box and has a couple of rust spots, but nothing major. Top speed is 60mph. Whatcha think? Good deal? Dumb idea? Or ???? Thanks!

Kris

2. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Wouldn't be bad for a DD. I have a Cherokee with 240xxx miles on it, I paid a little more but it gets better mileage than the Jimmy. Plus it can haul my parts around when the need arises. Kind of hard to pput an axle in the back of something sitting on 40's and a considerable lift. For 500 bucks kind of hard to go wrong on a DD that gets better mileage. I would say go for it.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Sounds like a good deal to me.

4. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

I've got a similar truck, bought it from my girlfriend's dad for $150 (but that's cause he likes me and knows nothing about cars). If it's half the truck this is I'd say it's well worth the money. This one is a 1977 Toyota Hi-Lux 2wd 20R, 4 speed, 73K miles. Had a hole in the radiator from where the fan got into it when the water pump blew when I bought it (he had already replaced the water pump), $20 at the radiator shop and she was good as new. I give her hell now and she just takes it with a smile. With an open rear-end and 4" wide white wall tires, she'll light one up all the way through 3rd if you dump the clutch. They'll go faster than 60mph too, I've had mine over 80 (it just takes a while and the motor is screaming). I know treating her that way is immature and stupid, but hey, that's what $150 trucks are for, right? Oh, and there's nothing quite like the sound quality from the factory push-button AM radio!

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Top speed 60 MPH ???? Sounds a little tired to me. A 20r should run better than that. Offer him 300. Settle for 400. Then do a valve job.

6. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

paid 500 for my dd which is a 82 datsun kingcab. only 154,8xx miles on her. Just not able to pull a couple thousand lbs. around like the chevy. :doah: