Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1977 chevy Blazer with Four Wheel Camper

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Dick, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Dick

Dick Registered Member

I was wondering if anyone has a 77 or newer Blazer w/four wheel camper. And if on-line pictures were available ?
    Thanks
    Dick

2. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Welcome to ColoradoK5, Dick!

Are you talking about the Chalet?

[​IMG]

If that is what you are looking for then visit www.blazerchalet.com for lots of pictures and info.

These are really cool trucks! Have you got one?

3. Dick

Dick Registered Member

I have seen these and they are quite unique.
    But the one I am looking for was a slide in camper produced by Four wheel campers (built in Denver) now out of California. The slide in camper was also built for Ram charges, Broncos, I scouts, trail dusters and GMC's.
    Thanks for your reply.
    Dick

4. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I do have a coupla photos of such a thing on the aforementioned webpage (under related campers or somesuch) ... there was one here for sale in the last few months and I kept all the photos of it.

Welcome to shoot me a line (dremu@slosh.com) and lemme know what you want. I don't claim to know much about the FWD rigs (mostly focussed on the Chalets, obviously) but I may be of some help.

-- A

6. Dick

Dick Registered Member

Thanks for your post. Your site is great -- actually that is where I saw the 77.
    I was interested in if someone owned one, how they drove, how well they have held up? The Chalet is a great machine. The Four wheel camper combo seems to be far and few between.
    Thanks again for your response.
    Dick

7. fredekr

fredekr Registered Member

I recently got a similar rig. It's not a Chalet, nor a 4wheel camper, but a Hallmark. It's a 94 camper on a 77 K5. Sorry, no pics. There was a 77 blazer with a 4wheel popup for sale in lakewood, colorado, but I didn't look at it because they guy down the road (Boulder) gave me a good deal on his (considering it has a 95 GM crate engine).

Here's an email about the one that I didn't buy:

Tim wrote on 11/18/2002 11:44 AM:

>Located in lakewood It has a little rust on the rear fenders general
    >condition is OK the tires are good shape but one is flat at the moment and
    >needs new battery. The camper is an '82 has two beds fridge stove sink and
    >heater runs on propane and is open to the cab. Milage unknown, 4" lift sag
    >in RR, new tranny, CD player with remote, lockout hubs, passes emissions new
    >2" dual exaust, oil pan has small leak, If you want to check it out call me

I don't imagine he'd mind if I passed on his email to you if you're in the market... PM me.

As for driveabailty, etc., well, it's a lot better than I've expected. Can't speak too much to reliability since 1, I have a different camper brand, 2, I've only had it a few months. The biggest handling improvement so far for me was swapping out some old michelin's with some new BFG ATs; that was a world of help. I've got some xfer case issue at the moment so I can't speak to 4x4 ability. I think that 4wheel campers are lighter than hallmarks; if you consider that the 77 was 4200lbs stock, minus the shell plus 500-700 for the camper... its a heavy vehicle. Still, it handles pretty well even at highway speeds, with a crosswind. If all goes according to plan I'll be taking mine out to Utah for a week in April (including the white rim as a trial 4x4 run), so I could tell you more then if you want.

cheers,
    Kevin

8. Dick

Dick Registered Member

Kevin--in your literature you advise you can slip out of the drivers seat and go into the camper. Is the camper open or do you go thru the camper window.
    Thanks for any info, still looking for the Four wheel camper slide in.
    Dick

9. fredekr

It's completely open (same as the chalets and the four wheel models as far as I know) -- there's no camper window or division between the camper and the cab, unlike a normal slide in. That was one of the major selling points for me.

Also, I think four wheel campers got sold or some such and they guy who started it is back at it under a different name... I think I read that here .

cheers,
    Kevin

10. Dick

Dick Registered Member

That what I am looking for, I know it is a Hallmark but is it called anything else? Model name, what year is it?
    Thanks for all the info
    Dick

11. fredekr

[ QUOTE ]
    That what I am looking for, I know it is a Hallmark but is it called anything else? Model name, what year is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean mine? It's a 1994 Hallmark "Blazer". Creative, huh?

cheers,
    Kevin

12. BPS

BPS Registered Member

13. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks for your post. Your site is great -- actually that is where I saw the 77.
    I was interested in if someone owned one, how they drove, how well they have held up? The Chalet is a great machine. The Four wheel camper combo seems to be far and few between.
    Thanks again for your response.
    Dick

[/ QUOTE ]
    The Chalet site is K5 Nutt's. He's pretty well the world renowed official Chalet guy.
    From what I remember of past posts the Chalet came with a 400sb engine and several other little upgrades that were not on the typical Blazer. Most being in the cooling department. I believe K5Nutt has a picture on his site of the RPO sticker showing the upgraded gear.

It's a lot of weight and it does make them top heavy and more prone to cross wind problems as well as taxing the brakes. I think some of the upgrades included a stronger sway bar on the front and possibly the addition of a sway on the rear.

The other companies making simular units might be making them a little lighter to help out with these issues. Bottom line is your going to know it's there. It's not something you would want on the truck for anything but light four wheeling.

14. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Umm umm umm. Let me just point out that while Doug is the subject matter expert, the web site is in fact run by some crazed redheaded redneck here in California, namely me /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

And yeah, the Chalets often came with the SB400, but they were basically loaded Cheyenne K5's with an overload spring in the back /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-- A

15. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

I rezemble that remark...hehehe. Aaron is the web guru...i couldn't figure out how to web page if i had a tutor...Aaron's da man when it comes to the www. If you have a parts/tech question i'm your man...we share in the scrounging of rare little known bowtie litature...and in the desire to own and learn everything there is to be known about K5's...Burbs...C-K-R-V....so if you need info on how to tbi that K5...i can help...quirks and tips on chalets...rebuilding your NP241...trouble codes...i can help...but all the www credit belongs to Aaron...

DW /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

16. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Umm umm umm. Let me just point out that while Doug is the subject matter expert, the web site is in fact run by some crazed redheaded redneck here in California, namely me /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

And yeah, the Chalets often came with the SB400, but they were basically loaded Cheyenne K5's with an overload spring in the back /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-- A

[/ QUOTE ]
    Opppps....Sorry to put the credit in the wrong places!