Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1977 K5 / 89 S-truck steering column interchange?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by thedrip, Apr 27, 2004.

1. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

My 77's column is all kinds of screwed up, one of the bearings in the tilt mechanism ate itself (bearing race came out in pieces). I have an 89 s-truck sitting out back. I noticed taking the column apart that the internals are almost identical (ignoring extra button for cruise and such on the 89, and the lack of a highbeam mechanism on the 77). Does anyone know if the columns would bolt up? I have to fight through piles of parts, animals, and a lot of broken glass to get the column out of the s10 to try, so I wanna see if anyone's tried this first.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The length will be wrong.

I would suspect that most, if not all, of the internals not related to column length would work though.

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Most GM upper columns are the same length. The lower part, fromthe firewall to box, is where the langth changes If you use just the section from the fire wall to he wheel, It will Physically bolt in. BUT there will be wiring issues. My old 76 actually had an upper column from a 77 T/A in it. I moved the shifter from the column to floor. I had the column already and it was a tilt(with no shifter on it). And the upperpart bolted in and the wiring matched up. Just had to monkey with the Nuetral safty and reverse lights. Which I moved to shiftr anyways.