Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1977 K5 Front Differential Question...Need Help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dayno, Sep 25, 2004.

1. dayno

dayno Registered Member

Took the differetial cover off the front on my 77 K5 to replace an axle seal...had fluid leakin out of a tube. Found parts of a bearing in the bottom so I took out the ring gear. the rollers from one of the differetial bearings fell into the hogs head when I took it out. The problem Im having is finding the spacer that sits between the housing and the race. The race and the spacer on the side that the bearing let go on got ground down pretty bad and are unusable. I've found the race's and bearings but not the spacer. Any ideas on where I can get this would be very helpfull. Also if there is anything special about bolting the ring gear back in when I find the parts that I need to know that would be helpfull too....thanks in advance for any help....Dayne

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

that spacer (if a 10 bolt and not a d44) is a shim. you should be able to get just the shims at randys or somethere that deals with gears. you need to put the correct thickness in to set the preload on the bearings correctly.

3. hawk368

hawk368 Registered Member

Also make sure your housing hasn't been worn-down any. And check the inside diameter of the bearing journal,that it hasn't been opened up any if the race was spinning. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

4. dayno

dayno Registered Member

The inside of the journal was scored just a little but when compared to the other journal it doesn't seem to have really changed the diameter just slightly scratched....I put both journals around the new races and they seem to fit the same....does this seem to show that it will be ok even tho it is scored a bit?....thanks....Dayne