Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1977 K5 Replacing rear shocks question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dayno, Sep 28, 2004.

1. dayno

dayno Registered Member

I looked underneith to see what would be involved with replacing the rear shocks on me '77 K5 and it apears the bolt on the top of the shock can only be accessed by removing the gas tank. The shock is mounted to the frame rail with a through bolt with a flat head on the outside of the framerail and a nut on the inside that I could barely touch with my fingers sqeezed up between the inside of the frame rail and the gas tank. Its like this on both shocks....I know they didn't make it so you have to remove the gas tank to replace the rear shocks did they?

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Nope. You just have to throw a rachet back there and hold it. Take the first outside nut off, pull the shock off, then wrench on the solid bolt.

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

there is a nut on the out side of the shock, the mount is a stud with a nut on the inside of the frame so if you want to take the stud off than yes you would have to drop the tank