Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1978 & 1979 Blazer, pics of 2nd, LTB one of them.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MrArmyAnt, Oct 25, 2005.

1. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    Has 160k miles on body, rebuild on engine was at 120k miles. ball joints need to be replaced, new ones in box come with it. Has a factory roll bar, sidewinder winch, which lin capacity is unknown. Rust doesn't look to deep, will sand it off imediatly, and primer it, until I can afford to repaint body with rino liner. Asking 1300. Reasonable? Thanks for the help! Also it is a Texas based truck.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2005
  2. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

3. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think your K5 will enjoy that mud a lot more than that beemer. Was the interior trashed?

4. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Actually no. That's in shallower water than it was, took a z71 and a jeep to pull us out. Doors sealed fine, inside of door held water though. Look at this pic:

http://img387.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img11637ne.jpg

So is that k5 a bargain? Also I am thinking about getting those black 39 dollar craggar's and some 35 inch goodyear mtrs. any recomendations for cheaper/better? And I am not doing a block lift, only leafs. Should I do a 4 suspension lift then 1 inch body lift or would i be happeir with a 6 inch suspension lift? Sounded like more was involved for the later. Is there considerably more articulation with 6"?

That BMW is really an amzing machine, and reamed the jeep that was out there, and out manuvered the truck, except those road tires and independent suspension just couldnt handle that watery mud. A drain valve in the air intake got stuck open, so it let it in, hydrolocked a cylinder, blew barings. . Got a new bmw long block from BMW though, insurance covered. Told them the truth on what happened too. It was so zippy for a little inline 6 3L.

Where in Texas you from? I am in DFW area, that happened at marshall creek.

koldsimer I see you are in dallas, I am in grapevine (where airport is). Can you shoot me an email? Seems like your a wealth of knowledge from other posts. mrarmyant (at) gmail *dot* com

Last edited: Oct 26, 2005
  5. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Did I post this in the wrong place?

6. MOBK5

MOBK5 1/2 ton status

No, I think everyone is in awe that you did that to a bmw. Were all shocked.

About the blazer, sounds nice. Listen closely to the motor and if you dont know much about engines have someone that does come with you. If you dont know how to replace balljoints, factor that into the budget. $1700 sounds like a very fair price. I say go for it.

7. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

I was in awe too. That actually wasn't my car :(. Momma's. Momma mad southern woman, hot damned. Maybe I should edit those photos out... Oh well, gotta learn sometime :). My money out the door. Some people wreck racing dads car, I blew moms engine mudding. Just makes me that more... stupid? Either way I am surprised that the "ultimate driving machine" has such weak bearings. And I know enough about engines to know what to listen for, just not about bodies cause I am affraid of rust, normaly dont go near rusty cars. here are some pics of it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2005
  8. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Problem fix, delete this post.

9. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Problem fix, delete this post.

10. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Turns out these are popular here, a fellow classmate of mine is selling his dads 79. Its body is better and worse, already has 35 inch wheels, id trash those though, keep rims, 8 inch rear suspension, not block lift, 6 inch front suspension lift, 1 ton axels, 1 ton rear end, aluminum eddlebrock heads, holly 650 carb, loccking front hubs/unlocking, 100amp alternator, k&n air filter, new (10 miles old) clutch, new transfer, eddlebrock manifold. wanted 4500, got him down to 3000, may go lower. also comes with a lot of extras, as well as a kit for dual shock suspension, front push bar, top light bar, etc. I am just worried about the longevity and dependibility of these high perfromance parts, seems like there just as good at breaking and eating gas as well as performance. sound like a bargain? ill get pics soon. so which should i go for? 1300 almost stock, or this one? this one has 116k miles on the body, rebuild done at 80k miles.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2005
  11. mtrdrms

mtrdrms 1/2 ton status

Ahhh, but does this new blazer have rusty tri-mount mirrors, home made rear tire carrier and a hood that's gonna fly off at 40 mph? :haha:

12. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Actually this one has a shoddy hood too. So what do ya'll feel about those parts? Is it worth it? Has newer rough country 5000 shocks. I bow down to ye experts, to tell me wich to choose. :bow:

13. mtrdrms

mtrdrms 1/2 ton status

Id say the guy has a lot into it and the price is right BUT if it has been beaten excessively or shows obvious signs of abuse and wear then you may not be getting a good deal. Post some pics.
    Does it burn oil?
    Is the motor still snappy?
    How is it at highway speed?
    You can tell alot about a car at highway speed.
    Any clunks, grinding, rubbing, rotting?
    Does it leak water into the cab when it rains?

14. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

I can say no to all of the above. I personally drove it, and other than the fact it likes to jump off the line (has quite a bit of power) and its gears don't feel to defined, its great.

15. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Is the fact that its a 6 inch lift spring and 8 inch lift spring is that going to completely screw up articulation?

16. ntx78k5

ntx78k5 1/2 ton status

Cant believe you found water that deep at Marshall Creek that didnt have a solid bottom. I have a 4" lift and 35's on my 78 and I get bored real quick out there. Spend must of my time way in the back where the thick mud is near the fence line. in an hour youve seen everything there is to do.

BTW, the alternate blazer sounds like a better deal.

17. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

x2, if the second already has the one tons and the lift, i would go ahead and spend the little extra more for it because it is going to cost more in the long run to modify the first blazer.

18. ntx78k5

ntx78k5 1/2 ton status

Gonna hijack this for a second, fourwheelerjeff, Can you wheel over in Matador? I've quail hunted up there a few time. Looks like a great place to burn some new trails???

19. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

depends if you want somebody else's project. $3k is a lot for any truck to me. I like to start cheap and add as I go, plus I think 8" lift on a Blazer is way too much for a short wheelbase without problems. I myself would go for the $1700 one but try to work him down to $1500. Ask him if he's really a good friend or if he's trying to screw you :haha: :haha: :D

Make doubly sure the other Blazer does really have 1-ton axles. There's a lot of people that claim they have "Heavy Duty" running gear but in reality it's not. Look for the 8 lug wheels and big large hub with 8 bolts on it coming out of the center of the rear wheel.

$1700 is a decent price as long as it starts, runs, drives, and handles under its own power and everything is working. Rust is easy enough to fix, you'll be cutting the fenders out soon enough anyway, the tailgate looks like the only problem

20. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

i don't know of any places to wheel over there. nor even any places local to me except running on the county roads when it rains. wish i had some land to play on.