Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1978 Blazer - Im thinking I want to go topless

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by demon, Jun 29, 2002.

1. demon

demon Registered Member

The top that is currently on my project truck sucks. I noticed that the roof over the driver and passenger seats in the front are actually part of the chassis. Im curious if there is a kit or plan to follow to make my blazer completely topless? I know that 75 was the last year of the full convertible but I really dont want to deal with the rust on top over the driver side. Any suggestions?

2. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

You are right about the roof being part of the chassis. Hacking the roof can be done, BUT you will need a roll cage to make up for the missing roof. Not just for safety, but for body rigidity.

You may experience problems by doing this mod. Doors might be more difficult to open and close. Body panels may develop cracks. The better you reinforce the body with the roll cage the better this mod will work. I love my fully topless '74 and think that the GM engineers made a big mistake going to the half top.