Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1978 Blazer is full-time 4wd?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AZOffroad, Jan 9, 2006.

1. AZOffroad

AZOffroad Registered Member

Hi,

I'm looking to buy another Blazer (I miss my old one). I am looking at a '78 here in town, and in doing some research, it seems that some (or all?) 1978 Blazers are full-time 4wd.

Is it true that all '78 Blazers are full-time 4wd?

If some are full-time, then how can I tell if this particular Blazer is full-time 4wd? (other than trying to look at the front drive shaft as the truck moves slowly forward ... that may prove to be inconvenient as I test drive the vehicle).

I don't like the idea of full-time 4wd - if this one is, then is there an easy mod to stop it from being that way? (besides swapping out the hubs ... I'm hoping to NOT have a front diff that's always working) Or, is it something that you have to live with if you have that particular transfer case?

Thanks...

Steve

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I don't think all of them are it depends on the T-case. ALL NP203's came from the factory full time, but many have been converted. If it has manual locking hubs it isn't full time. If it is you can convert it or even easier just swap T-cases. Welcome to CK5 by the way:waytogo:

3. MTBLAZER89

4. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

OK...I have a 74 with a 203. If it is a 203 it is full time four wheel. The shifter (if it still has the ring) from top to bottom will say Lo Loc, Lo, N, High, High Loc. If it;s not a 203 it should be 4 lo, 4 hi, n 2h. Also, if it has manual hubs, put them in free and shift the trans case through all the gears. If it's a 203, it will only move in lo loc or high loc, not just lo or high.
    You could also crawl under neath the truck. A 203 is BIG! A 205 or 208 is way shorter.
    I would also like to say that in 78 auto hubs weren't availible, unless they are slugs, and that would indicte full time four wheel drive.

Doing a conversion is really not that hard. There a 3 different ways to do this. 2 kits come from mile marker. One is a differential conversion, the other is a shaft kit. The 3rd comes from super winch and replaces the spider gears in he tcase.
    If your planning on keeping the 203, I say spend the extra cash and get the shaft kit (not to mention it's easier to do). I went with the super winch kit. But I have a 205 and am waiting to do the doubler kit from ORD with it. SO far it has held up very well and I have beat the ever lovin **** out of it.
    I like the 203 cause it is a very god case if you take care of it. No matter what anybody says, DON'T put 90 weigh gear oil in it. The only lube for this case is 10w30 or 10w40. Thats it. Good luck, enjoy that K5 and wheel the hell out of it. It what it was made to do.

5. MTBLAZER89

I didn't mean auto hubs. I just meant if it had selectable hubs it would indicate part time:D

6. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

Either way, I'm guessing it's a 203 and thus, full time four wheel drive. Whatever you do, don't call it all wheel drive. That's reserved for my Subaru WRX :laugh: