Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1979 chevy/gmc service manual????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RootBreaker, Sep 22, 2003.

1. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

anyone know where to get one? my haynes book doesnt have the gas tank wiring... thanks
    /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

2. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

3. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I think LMC or chevy duty carries them. I just did a google search online for "1979 chevrolet blazer factory shop manual" and weeded through the sites until I found what I wanted. Got a full reprint for about $60. It has held up well and has everything I needed except a wiring diagram. I need to hit LMC for one of those.

4. RootBreaker

[ QUOTE ]
    http://www.helminc.com/helm/homepage.asp

This will get you a Factory Manuel.

If all you need is the fuel tank. PM me.

[/ QUOTE ]

i got the following trying to get info from that site...

No items found. Helm does not carry any products that match the criteria you have searched. Possible reasons may include the following: your manufacturer has discontinued this product or such a product does not exist. Please check the criteria to ensure that you entered in all information accurately. If you need further assistance, please contact your vehicle manufacturer.

anyhow I am sending you an email since i cannot PM people. I dont have my cc handy to pay for the membership.
    will have email to you in a few minutes. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

5. RootBreaker

aight here is a pic of the switch so i know that the blue wire is needed.... and i will explain where each wire goes from the switch....

[​IMG]

brown wire to drivers side gas tank
    brown wire with white stripe to passenger side gas tank
    green wire to solenoid (also works or at least clanks when switch is flicked)
    blue wire just there as it was cut on my parts truck.
    pink to fusebox - solenoid clicks so i believe that there is voltage

the only thing i am thinking is that once i hookup this blue wire all will work......

think about it... i have 1 ground per gas tank from float assembly to frame rail, i have a brown wire running from float assembly back to the switch, green wire from switch to solenoid..... What wire is missing to be hooked up? i dont get it.. unless the blue is a ground???????

6. RootBreaker

with me drawing all that out on paper i still am missing one thing!!!!!!
    GUAGE!!!!!

so i took the guage cluster out. I have a wire running from the fusebox to pin 18. 18 jumps to 7. I think that that 18 & 7 are jumped so a standard harness can be used for big gas gauge or big tach.....

so now my question is the gas tanks work off of voltage resistance created via the float? if so then the active tank would need to goto the guage?
    GRRR IM GETTIN EVEN MORE CONFUSED!!!!
    \

ok i used mspaint to quickly draw it... sorry looks like junk and it wont allow me to add text... so i will explain and see if you see anything.... i know i am probably gettin annoying by now on the gas tank subject.. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

[​IMG]

now starting from bottom is obviously the gas tanks. 1 on left and 1 on right.
    just above that is the solenoid
    above that is the switch
    above that is the switchbox then the circle is the guage....

7. RootBreaker

im getting farther just thinkin of it and posting it here...

my last one said nothing goes to the tach but through the fusebox..... now the pink wire went from switch to fusebox. that allowed the solenoid to work when switch was switched.... but once i took the wire from the accessory of the fusebox and ran the switch to the guage... now i have one side working... drivers side works!!!! 1/4 tank baby.. and i know that is right cuz i lowered it myself....
    but when i switch the switch i dont hear the solenoid go and the gauge pegs past full.... now i think i can sleep a lil bit better now. but any idea of where that blue wire goes? that must make the solenoid work? but there is a wire to the solenoid... green

[​IMG]

8. kustom71

kustom71 1/2 ton status

Try this site if your looking to buy.
    They have new and used cheap!
    www.factoryautomanuals.com
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm glad you posted this,because the switch on my truck is missing and has been jerry rigged with another toggle switch,and the gauge just pegs over full and flicking the switch does nothing--I'm in the process of converting back to a single tank and your wiring dilema will help me figure mine out--I have a clymer book with a diagram,but its so small its very hard to read. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifHope to make it work--or this will be the third GM truck I've had with no gas gauge--now THATS annoying!. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. RootBreaker

dude... just pm me or email me at rootbreaker@comcast.net ... i can tell ya whatever u wanna know.... my dad came over today and hooked me up. we figured it all out.....
    fawked up part is the blue wire under the truck goes back to the guage... and the blue wire on the switch was in the wrong spot /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

anyhow i am gonna do up a new wire diagram.....