Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1979 K5 What Would You Do????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 2BLAZERS, Apr 5, 2005.

1. 2BLAZERS

2BLAZERS 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Okay just sold my '91 Blazer last Thursday, I have a new Dodge 3500 for a DD/tow rig, so time to build a dedicated trail machine from the '79 Blazer that has been sitting in the garage for 3 year now. My wife says she wants it done or gone. Budget is $10-12,000 (savings)

I currently have 6 inch lift and Dana 60/14Bolt combo.

I am thinking 39'' Boggers, Beadlocks, 5.13 gears, ARB/detroit, doubler, crossover, high angle steering, hydrolic steering, rollcage, 454 crate motor, 12k Warn, softtop, sliders, major fender cutting, 1'' body lift.

What do you think? Should I just go to 42"" TSL? Anything I should change.

I would like it to be driveable and legal on the street, but it will be towed to the trails. Most of trail runs would be in Western OR, think clay mud, tight trails, tree, roots, hills, tank traps, and rocks.

Thanks

2. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

wouldn't beadlocks make it illegal in the first place?

3. 2BLAZERS

2BLAZERS 1/2 ton status Premium Member

To me beadlocks are not so illegal you are going to get pulled over for it. What I was referring to was more the idea of it being drivable to the trails or around town without being noticably illegal. I am also not going to worry about mud flaps until I get pulled over for it :D

I am really just saying I am not going to make it into a truggy :grin:

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I would not wory about getting pulled over for beadlocks. There are so many Jeepers running those phony beadlocks now, I dont think cops really notice them anymore.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Bigger is better. If you think you might want 42's then you will want 42's. If you buy 39.5's you will want 42's and kick yourself for not buying them.

Sounds like a pretty good plan/setup.

Harley

6. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I would go bigger on the tires too also look at alot of different rigs on the net I've got 39.5 IROKs and they look really skinny on my truck I wish I would have gotten 42s or even 44s. Oh well now I have a couple of years to regear then get the bigger tires. Sounds like a good plan. One thing though if it is going to be mostly towed I would try to get it as light as possible.