Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1979 K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by arkansas2, Feb 7, 2002.

1. arkansas2

arkansas2 Newbie

I just bought a 79 K5. It is all time 4 wheel drive. My question is: Is it worth the money to install lock out front hubs and will it handle better on pavement and save mpg?My son drives it back and forth to school and then we off road on weekend.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well if you want to get down to it it will handle curves better being fulltime. The front pulls it through and it doesn't understeer as much. The full time does cause a little faster tire wear so you got to rotate the tires often and you MUST buy tires 4 at a time to keep the hights even. If the hights are even then it doesn't effect the gas millage by much.
    That fulltime in poor weather conditions is awsome! I have seriously concidered taking out my front Lockright in the winter nad putting it back to stock full time for winter.
    If you do convert it you have to put it in LOC about every 200 miles to refill the resivior in the tail shaft. These cases were designed to use the oil slung off the chain to help with lubricating. Part time conversion don't spin the chain and people have run the bearings dry as a result.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

3. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

you'd need to convert the hubs and the xfer case it self, if you were to just install the hubs then you'de need to run it in 4 loc all the time wich is still a lot of extra rotational inertia.

beligerence doesn't justify intelligence.
    <font color=blue>wheelers hate posers.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>79k15/400/700r4/205/38.5</font color=red>