Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1979 One ton lift questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by savagek5diesel, Oct 3, 2006.

1. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

I bought a '79 one ton 4x4 retired federal truck (more details in sig.). It will be my somewhat tow rig soon enough, but i was looking for lifts and the only company that advertises a 1ton lift is skyjacker. Is the rear spring length longer than a 3/4 ton? I'm wanting 6" with 35's for an aggressive and stout stance, but to still be functional as a tow rig. But one question to add to what combination of lift i get will be is that the cab of the truck sits about a full 1" lower than the bed, chrome trim lines really make it stand out.
    So with your guys' input, i would like to know what combination would you go with? I'm thinking a 4" DIY shackle flip in the rear and keep the extremely stout/huge spring pack the factory sent out on the truck because i know it can handle a load and not squat much, and do maybe a 4, or 5" front spring, along with a 2" body to level the cab and bed back up.
    You guys may have a better combination that i can't think of, or reason why my current thoughts aren't going to perform with what i'm asking the truck to still do. Opinions please guys. Thanks.:D

Last edited: Oct 3, 2006
  2. savagek5diesel

oh yeah!

And i want the truck to roll around on 35's. Any opinions on a good mud tire that can withstand towing? I was just looking at the
    Goodyear Wrangler R/T II Military HUMVEE,HMMWV Tires.
    Anybody know how these tires ride? Noisy at speed?
    Anything besides the $1200 dollar 4 pair of toyo MT's?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2006
  3. savagek5diesel

posted earlier this morning....

i'm hoping this wont get lost in new threads...... posted it way early this morning.

4. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The springs are the same from 1/2 to 1 ton lift, minus the rears. A 1 ton will have 56s. Only diff in a kit will be the steering. I guess you can get a 4" lift, as 1 tons sit higher than 1/2 and 3/4s, enough to clear 35s.

5. 1BEATK5

1BEATK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Those goodyear hummer tires are stiff, noisy, and vibrate pretty good when cold. other than that they are great. you prob. won't get too many flats with them either. i haven't towed with mine but Imo. bfg muds would be a better choice, or anything radial instead of bias ply.

6. savagek5diesel

Yeah, i was just throwin' those military mt's in the picture because they're cheap and most come with a set of H1 rims. I love the BFG muds, and will prolly end up getting a set of those.