Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1979 Suburban with blazer removable top

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by kaharshs, Oct 5, 2008.

1. kaharshs

kaharshs 1/2 ton status

Hey guys,
    been fishing around here awhile but never got around to signing up. I live in Fairfield Ca, but im from the area around Eugene Oregon. Im a sheet metalworker and painter. Right now I work in a advanced composite shop on carbonfiber, kevlar and fiberglass parts. Though I'd start the post of my build up of my 1979 Suburban. I found it on craigslist for $500. Already have a 6 inch lift and 35's. I bought it without ever seeing it. Went down to get it and turned out it was a 350, 465, 205. It ran like ****, but it drove me 100 miles home. When I got home I replaced the braided fuel line at the tank which was missing most of the rubber. Found out that was why it was starving for fuel. Also the rear ubolts were really losse. Then I was changing all the fluids and pulled the rear axle cover off and plop plop plop went chuncks of the ring gear. So I built a 14 bolt semi floater with disc brakes, govlok, and 4.10's. Pulled out the old half ton **** and put a matching 8 bolt 44 up front. While I was at it I added a 3inch body lift and 38 toyos. Then I decided I wanted a giant sun roof so I cut the back of the roof off. After looking on here I saw the blazer top could be put on the suburban. Half off day at pick and pull netted me a fiberglass top and all the sheet metal I needed for about $200. So here it is still kinda ruff but somewhat put together. Next on the list is the 4bolt 350 in my garage and the gasket/seal kits I have for the tranny and transfer case. Havent decided on the color yet. But I will keep that for next summer when I can make a trip to my dads house to use his paint booth. Check out my album for more pics.

bought.jpg

burb2.JPG

DSC01576.JPG

DSC01635.JPG

DSC01637.JPG

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  2. Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Looks good. Can we see some pics of the interior where the top mates to the body? How about some pics of the tailgate?

3. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

good work

4. rjpastor

rjpastor 1/2 ton status

5. kaharshs

kaharshs 1/2 ton status

Here are a couple more pics. I will take some more with the top on from the inside and post them.

DSC01640.JPG

DSC01641.JPG

DSC01642.JPG

DSC01630.JPG

DSC01634.JPG

6. Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Looks like you did some nice work. I'd like something like that too, but not sure if I could do it.

7. noJeepshere

noJeepshere I Drive Trains! Premium Member

That is amazingly cool.:bow:

8. 4WheelingPlus

4WheelingPlus 1/2 ton status

Very cool. Nice job! :bow::bow::bow:

9. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

Very bad ass man, Nice build. Subscribed.

10. Ten_Bucks

Ten_Bucks 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Subscribed as well. Good job so far.

Scott

11. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

Sweet! Nice job.

That is exactly what the Avalanche should have been!

Now someone has to take it to the next level and make a fully removable top like the pre 76 K5s for a burb.

12. buefchris

buefchris 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

To bad the automakers are too slow with new ideas. Thats why they are looking for the government to bail them out.....again. In the future, they might want to pay attention to the american public for ideas that sell. Ideas like the Challenger and Camaro are great, just way too late.
    Alright, I 've rambled enough.

13. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver Premium Member

Did this start out with a tail gate or barn doors? If barn doors, did you just get the entire rear from the K5 and attach it? Can we see how you blended the two roofs together? Very nice work. Something like this would make my wife alot happier than just chopping the back of my Suburban off.:D

14. kaharshs

kaharshs 1/2 ton status

I started off with barn doors. I did cut off most of the rear end of the blazer and then trimmed it up at home. I blended the 2 roofs with some larger pieces of metal I had cut off the suburbans old roof. The biggest help I had this whole project was a phnuematic flanger. It puts a offset in the metal so you dont have to butt-weld everything. I just moved to a new house I bought so things have been busy. When I get everything settled down or find time I will take some more pictures of the roof and get working on this piece again. Also there are some pictures in my album if you can get to them. Thanks for the good comments.

15. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver Premium Member

Get settled in before yo utry to find anything else for me. I have a while before I can even look at my Burb, let alone work on it.

16. kaharshs

kaharshs 1/2 ton status

Hey guys havent posted in a while. The old burb was leaking to much oil so I pulled the engine tranny and tranfer caes. Got a seal kit for the tranny and transfer. Getting them done by the weekend and thn I should have my motor rebuld done by the 1st. Aslo my garage is a complete mess so come clean it for me.

I have some spare parts im looking to give away. The rear barn door and the reat side windows. I aslo have a 6 lugs spare tire and rim if anybody wants these I live in Suisun City ca.

17. gt1009

gt1009 1/2 ton status

Nice job man. Love the idea, I'll try to get dad to do it on his 98 sub lol

18. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

If I ever do this mod which I would love to do someday, I think I will bob the back and add the K5 top. Burbs need to be shortened up in the rear, departure angle is too great for rock crawling. This way it would have the same as a K5 in the rear. I think that would make for a bad ass burb look. Yours still looks bad ass though. I hate seeing a cool mod I just can't do being allready over loaded with projects. I just can't start another one. :crazy:

19. cabledawg

cabledawg Secret Squirrel Premium Member

I'm lookin at doing this same project only with a 90. How long did it take to get the Blazer grafted onto the Burb? I'm not talking all the finish work included, just outside sealed up and driveable? Thanks and looking good!

20. kaharshs

kaharshs 1/2 ton status

It took about

3 hours to cut off the blazer parts I needed because you gotta measure good.
    2-4 hours trimming it to get it where you want it and remove stuff you dont need.
    1 hour cutting off old suburban top.
    2-4 hours trimming suburban for new top. You gotta shorten the floor too because the distance from the rear door to the back of the suburban is about 1 1/2 inches more than the blazer is. make new rear body mounts on frame. You also have to graft in the rear of the blazer to use a gate.

2-4 hours possitioning new top and getting them trimmed to a tight fit.

around 4 hours welding.

I got around 8 hours of body work in and about 20 left before the paint is completely ready to go on.

I didnt it with only about a 2 hours of help to if you got some friends who can help it would speed things up. If you need any help with measure ments or pictures hit me up.