Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1979 wiring for dual gas tanks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RootBreaker, Sep 20, 2003.

1. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

hello,
    sorry this is long and confusing but that is how i work /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    my dual gas tanks used to work fine until one day the gas guage went from 1/2 tank to full and beyond. I switched tanks and that one worked so i figured the float went bad. then that tank did it too..... i took the wiring out from under the truck to check it out but got sidetracked and never got back to it......this is back in 1996 when my truck came off the road. now i am trying to get it to a driveability part and fix some of the stupid stuff.

now i bought a 1979 k35 parts truck with dual tanks and i took the wiring out of it... but seems that guy had problems too but the gas guage worked. he took the switch out..... anyhow i took the wiring out....

i know 1 wire goes to solenoid
    1 wire goes to 1 tank
    1 wire goes to other tank
    1 blue wire is cut and i dont know where it goes

also i am using the dash guages from the parts truck due to seeing the gas guage working and saying 1/2 tank.... the guages from the parts truck has the factory tach and my truck has the big gas guage so i used the one with the factory tach.

when i took out the one with the tach i looked at the gas guage and figured on the harness pin 18 and 7 were jumped with a pink wire and from 18 to the switch..... when i put that guage cluster in my truck i looked at my harness so i could move the wires and they already were ??????

so this long story is asking 2 real questions...

#1 what is the blue wire that runs near the tanks for?
    green goes to solenoid
    brown goes to one tank
    other brown goes to other tank
    (i put a knot to remember which one goes where)

#2 when you replace a guage cluster that has the big gas guage with a guage cluster with the factory tach, what wires need to be moved to allow the gas guage to work.... or is it fine the way it is?

thanks and sorry for all the confusion

2. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

Blue wire go to the Aux fuel sending unit. PM me if you want the wiring diagram.

3. wild-will

wild-will 1/2 ton status

I'd like the wiring diagram if its the same as a 76

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Blue wire go to the Aux fuel sending unit. PM me if you want the wiring diagram.

[/ QUOTE ]

since i am not a member anymore i couldnt pm you.... can you email it to me? RootBreaker@comcast.net...

anyhow here is what i have at the moment...
    my own diagram using mspaint

pic is big so save it locally and open it up full screen....
    [​IMG]