Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1980 GMC Jimmy Sierra Classic, how much, highs & lows, good and bad points

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AJMBLAZER, Nov 21, 2001.

1. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Hey guys, long time few posts.............anyways.

I'm looking at a 1980 GMC Jimmy Sierra Classic. I'm in Michigan, and this thing has NO rust other than a little bit of minor surface rust on the undercarriage. Which makes it somewhat hard to come by and desireable around here. I wouldn't have known about it, except the guy has it parked on a road I drive down about twice a day on my delivery route. I stop every time, and take detours to go by it. It won't stop tempting me............

It has:
    -TH350
    -transfer case, not sure, isn't this the all NP205 year?
    -90,200 original miles
    -33x12.5R15 Big O AT tires on alloys
    -no lift or very small lift
    -true dual exhaust going straight out the back (I know, but if I get it I'm putting them out the sides) with Flowmasters
    -stock AM/FM cassette deck
    -burgundy interior is okay, vinyl is cracked and peeling in places, the dash is kinda warped in spots, and the carpets are kinda dirty and semi-worn, but it's cleanable and liveable, not a disaster or anything.
    -exterior is great, minor rock chips and not a spec of rust. Previous owner in Nevada had it repainted. I thumped around the edges and couldn't find any bondo. Really looks great. The tag has "this truck has never seen snow" on it, being from Nevada I'd beleive that. Paint is red with a big tan center stripe. Has all the trim peices.
    -has a towing receiver on it, think Class III
    -AC
    -Power windows (sides and rear)
    -cruise control
    -10 bolt front and 12 bolt rear
    -I think it has power steering and a tilt column, but I couldn't tell on the PS and forgot to look on the tilt

Okay guys, any problems with these years? Any pluses? Isn't this the year that the NP205 came in all of them? My first ever truck was a 1986 Chevy Blazer K5, and this thing blows it out of the water so far.

Oh yeah, forgot to say how much he wants for it. Guy wants $6000 for it. I talked to him on the phone, and he sounds like a late teens early 20's college kid who knows nothing about it, just think's it is cool. When I asked him what kind of transmission it had, he was blown away. He says the only reason he's getting rid of it is he's buying an engagement ring for his girl. So I figure he pulled that number out of his butt. Even with the great condition it's in, I wouldn't pay much more than $4000 for it. Am I right? Keep in mind this is Michigan, and 5 year old vehicles have rust on them.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350, TH700, 2" Rancho, 285/75R16 AT's, Flowmaster, K&N, MSD stuff

2. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I would try and do some looking under the carpet if possible... beware that the Blazers... especially up here in the salt areas, love to rust from the inside out. Look especially in the back bed area where the tailgate attaches, behind the 2 front bucket seats and the front body mounts under the frt seats' foot areas.

IMO the bodywork and rust is the worst thing to worry about. The mechanicals are pretty cheap in comparison.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

3. AJMBLAZER

That's just the thing, this truck came from Nevada about 3 months ago. Not a Michigan, salt, or snow truck.[​IMG] I'm gonna kick myself if I miss this one.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350, TH700, 2" Rancho[​IMG], 285/75R16 AT's, Flowmaster, K&N, MSD stuff [​IMG]

4. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

how about mileage or compression test results? It'd be a bummer to find out about problems with the engine that this "kid" might not have noticed. If he didn't check oil often or at all...that's how my 87 became terminal.
    Good luck, I know exactly how you feel! I also know how it feels to put $700 into a truck two weeks after you buy it...[​IMG]

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
    --Thomas Jefferson

5. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Yes, 80, as well as 73, were the np205 years, where they were behind every transmission.

it is always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: 1980 GMC Jimmy Sierra Classic, how much, highs & lows, good and bad poi

buy it. thats a good year. Should have the rear TH350 205. It will be a slip yoke version but it can be convered to a fixed yoke. It will have a lock up converter for a little better economy on the hwy. Double check for rust and if it's that rust free get it to Zbart QUICK!

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Not all the '73s came with the NP205. My '73 Blazer has an NP203 and my dad's '73 K10 short bed had a 203 as well. All of the 1980 models did have the NP205. My '80 Jimmy sounds similar. I didn't think mine had the 205 when I bought it because I had never seen a slip yoke/ aluminum tail housing on a 205. I didn't know they even were made that way untill I read Shawn's collum at ORC. If you do buy it get it rust proofed right away or it will be bad by the end of winter. MIne is red and white not red and tan, though. Click the link below to see it. BTW $6000 seems too high to me, if the drivetrain is good I would say more like $4-5K. Remember it is still a 20 yr old truck.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Body by Tellico
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com>www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com</a>

8. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I had two p/u with 350/205 combo both 73, still got one, I thought they all came that way, but since it was a new body style year, maybe it depends on when it was made, had a friend with a 74 and 4speed and 203, what a lot of slop!!

it is always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission

9. AJMBLAZER

Thanks for the help so far guys. Anyone else?

1992 Blazer Sport, 350, TH700, 2" Rancho[​IMG], 285/75R16 AT's, Flowmaster, K&N, MSD stuff [​IMG]