Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1980 K5 DUAL EXHAUST?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BTCRAWFORD, Nov 21, 2002.

1. BTCRAWFORD

BTCRAWFORD Registered Member

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE 1980 K5 WAS EVER PRODUCED WITH A STOCK DUAL EXHAUST. AM REBUILDING MINE AND WOULD LIKE TO INSTALL DUAL, BUT WANT TO KEEP IT EMISSIONS LEGAL. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif <font color="purple"> </font color>

2. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    If you put on duals, and put cats back on it you should be fine.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Please fill out your profile. Run a Cat on each side and you should be all leagle.

4. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Emissions standards for exhaust will be based on where you are at. Where are you at? Someone call Zakk! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

For sure, if you could get the 5.7 liter diesel in a K5, you could get duals.

It is NOT legal (this is federal, although if you have to go through a state inspection, you could be failed for dual cats I guess, although I've never heard of that) to change the number of cat converters *from stock* unless you go with a newer drive train that was certified with dual cats, like some Camaro's, but those were all injected models. You also have to swap in all emissions components, so thats not going to work for you I bet.

I don't *think* anything but a diesel Blazer (Speaking Blazer's only) could be had without cat converters in 1980, but I'm not 100%, since trucks varied pretty heavily on what got converters and what didn't, based on GVW I believe.

6. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Diesels had dual exhaust but I cant find where gas engines did.

7. dyeager535

By the way, according to the Chevy literature here: http://www.slosh.com/cars/brochures/ diesels were not an option until the advent of the 6.2 in 1982. So no true duals likely for an '80, and not possible at all if cat converters were installed on ALL 1980 Blazers.

8. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Good link! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

2 things here.
    I don't know about 80 but 73-77 I have seen the dual stock setup, so that option was available with the 350 4bbl in those years.
    Second, thanks for that link.
    In an earlier thread I was talking about brochures I had for the 76 pickups, blazers and subs, and I mentionned the chalet, and the expert here, and chalet owner commented that it was only available in 77. Well thank you, I found an exact copy of the brochures that I had, and they did offer the Chalet in 76.
    I am still not that old and my memory is still good.
    And by the way, I was going to reply on your answer saying that only on diesels was the dual offered in 80, then I scroled down and found that you corrected yourself. Diesel started with 82.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. dyeager535

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    And by the way, I was going to reply on your answer saying that only on diesels was the dual offered in 80, then I scroled down and found that you corrected yourself. Diesel started with 82.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I didn't correct myself /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Diesels WERE available prior to 1982, just not in Blazer's apparently. That was the Olds 350 (5.7L) diesel prior to '82. '77 was it's debut year I believe, in cars at least.

Apparently they didn't see a reason to put it in Blazers, just waited for the 6.2. But trucks DID get diesels before '82.

11. BTCRAWFORD

BTCRAWFORD Registered Member

IM IN PHOENIX, ARIZONA

12. dyeager535

What really matters is if your vehicles get a visual inspection, or if you plan on moving to somewhere that does. A lot of people are happy with 3" pipes, if you can go single 3" with one converter, thats probably what I would do.

13. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

That's what I was saying.
    I know of the Olds 4.3l and 5.7l and what I was saying is that they were never offered in the blazer.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

Don't know for sure but I don't think any came with dual exhaust. I know mine didn't.
    Joe