Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1981 Blazer roof rot

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hillbillyblue, Mar 31, 2005.

1. hillbillyblue

hillbillyblue Newbie

Hi Y'all,

I have an '81 K5 with severe cab rot where a sunroof has been fitted.I would like to cut off the roof completely so that I can fit the earlier style full length hardtop and use the vehicle open top for the summer. I would however like to cut it to the correct dimensions so that when summer is over the full length hardtop will bolt straight up. I cant just measure the full length hardtop as I dont have one! (yet). Has anyone done this conversion? Or can anyone suggest where I might find accurate dimensions?

Thanks.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The best way is to graft the upper half of a 73-75 K5 windshield frame onto the remains of your current 'A' pillars. The 'B' pillar gets cut at the top of the box side.

You'll also have to cut your doors, and buy the caps and stuff from LMC.

Most important is some sort of cage or other method of making the body rigid enough. You'll get some really bad body sag otherwise.

Rene

3. hillbillyblue

hillbillyblue Newbie

Roll cage?

How did the stock '73-75 avoid body sag? It doesnt seem to have any cage at all - does it have extra panels connecting bodywork? I was planning on fitting a roll bar but not a complete cage so does the bodywork on an '81 need attaching to a complete cage? Also the top of my windscreen is sound...where would I find a '73-75 windscreen top. LMC dont have one in there catalogue and they're thin on the ground over here...

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The 73-76 K5's got a rocker box assembly under the floor which added rigidity to the body.

Finding an upper frame took me less than 3 days. I put up a wanted ad in the regional forum for my area and waited for a response. They aren't that hard to find, and often the same person with the windshield frame will have a complete hardtop and all the other bit's you'll need.

Rene