Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1981 chevy 1500,long bed,2wd, 6 cyl should i buy it???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 2005z71chevy, Mar 14, 2006.

1. 2005z71chevy

2005z71chevy Registered Member

Hey guys I have a chance to get that truck for cheep its in good conditon with 108,000 miles and almoast no rot. The truck has an in line 6 with a 350 tranny. How much would it take to drop in a 350 v8. would it match right up to the tranny and motor mounts would the radiator be ok and will the front suspension hold it up. How will this tranny hold up to a v8. O ya its got 2.73 gears in the rear. What do you guys think? i know the questions are basic but im just startin out. thanks nick

2. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

A 350 will drop in but you'll need a new radiator and shroud.

The tranny and front suspension will be fine, as long as they are in good condition.

You'll be missing an axle, though. ;)

The rear gears will suck ass. I've had that ratio in two trucks (one 2wd and one 4wd) and was seriously disappointed both times.

3. 2005z71chevy

haha the jimmy and my colorado have enough to go around. will the radiator be to small and make the 350 over heat? thanks for the help!

4. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

It depends on the actual engine you use and the radiator that's in the truck but probably. My '80 was a 6cyl truck that was converted to a 400sb. It never actually overheated on me but it did run hot all the time, more so when it was idling because the 6cyl doesn't have a fan shroud, it just has a guard to keep you from sticking your arm in the fan. Once I put a good V8 radiator and fan shroud in, it ran like a champ.

In fact... I still have that shroud and rad support... ;)

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yep radiator and shroud youll need for a v-8

and the engine mount brackets that bolt to the engine block differ from 6 to 8 cyl

and then exhaust system of course

and then most everything else will be alright except minor wire changes

you could always swap the engine harness from a donor v-8 truck at the firewall plug

ive had a few 80-s 6 cyl trucks, my last one was an 84 custom deluxe c-10 with 3 on the tree and 250

it ran shifted great

the Po put in an old 350 engine and 250 bucks on new dual exhaust system at a local shop, it was knocking to i put another old 350 in it,

the RPO sticker said 250 L6 engine

they are around still

dont worry about springs, they are the same

to me its not worth the conversion, i would just buy a v8 truck, they are all dirt common

good luck

6. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I would tend to agree unless you're getting the truck and/or the engine for next to nothing. Then you might as well get it and do the work. It'll be good experience. :D

7. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I would check with your DMV to check if you can put a motor that doesnt match the VIN? I heared that they were trying to limit vehicle motors this way in CA. Better make sure first...

8. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Another reason to hate Commiefornia. :rolleyes:

9. 2005z71chevy

no im mass they dont check you can run what you want for a motor. i wanted to get that truck because it is free of rot this is hard to come buy in mass.

10. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Anything as long as its the same year or newer then the vehicle your putting it into, with all that engines factory smog equiptment.

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Buy my truck instead!...

I have a 79 C10 2WD Fleetside,8' bed for sale,and I'm in MA!..it was a 250 six originally,now it has a 305 from an 86 van in it,runs decent,very little rust,118,000 original miles..I had it posted for sale in the "Complete Vehicles" for sale forum here a few months ago..

I could get in trouble for pimping it here in the garage forum,so PM me or E-mail me if your interested..

I have too many vehicles and no job!--in fact,my membership expires here on monday,and I'm so broke I cant renew it.:( ....so I really need this truck gone,much as I hate to sell it..its in great shape for a 79 thats been in MA all its life..was garaged during winters until I got it in 2003..:crazy:

12. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i've had 2 trucks that came with 4.1s from the factory, and had 350s dropped in them. i believe the mounts are different. dont really need a different radiator, just the shroud. front suspensions were ok, the 3.08s that were in both of them absolutely sucked, i would put an OD in it, and some 3.73s. little more get up and go off the line, plus a little more on the top end.