Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1983 full size Jimmy, bad rear end

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tackettb, Jul 18, 2002.

1. tackettb

tackettb Registered Member

Wow first of all I'm totally psyched on this forum/page. Next I'm not the most knowlegeable person about working on auto's nor am I a great mechanic, so bear with me. I have a 1983 Jimmy Sierra Classic, been driving it for about 2 years(since I put in the 6.5 to replace the 6.2 deisel) it's my daily driver, don't do any off roading yet but I could. My problem now is that the rear differential is bad, (popping and clanking on corners). So my questions to the knowledgable crowd is should I just replace/fix the standard rear end on this thing or goto something different? And does anyone have any tips for the weekend mechanic on this job? Thanks for any help or advice. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

2. jason88driver

jason88driver Newbie

hey. i had the same problem in my 86 but finally it shelled. if only id pulled the cover!!! anyway, i just went to the tech section and theres a whole web site that might help. it was real informative. i think it was differentials.com. if not, like i said, theres a link in the tech section. hope that helps you. later.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If you're not really into wheeling it I'd find another 10 bolt or 12 bolt with the same gear ratio and swap it under the truck. If you are capable enough to swap a 6.5 in place of a 6.2 the rear end swap shouldn't take more than a few hours. With the added torque of the 6.5 I'd look for a 12 bolt or a SF 14 bolt with the 6 lug bolt pattern, you'll probably frag another 10 bolt in no time.

If you do plan on eventually lifting or wheeling the truck you might consider a 3/4 ton drivetrain, but you'll need new wheels and it can open another can of worms. No big deal if it's not a daily driver...a real PITA if it is.

Rene