Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1983 G30 Van 4WD?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by metalbonde, Dec 12, 2004.

1. metalbonde

metalbonde Registered Member

ever heard of these? , pretty rare i guess..

i asume the rear axle should be a 14bff but whatabout the front? gear ratio?

more stats: 6.2L Diesel 400 tranny t/case unknown (Np205?), 8 lug axles 33" tires

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

A guy near me had a chevy van that was a 4x4--it was a factory conversion,done by Pathfinders in CA--they grafted a NP205 case and a 1/2 ton solid front axle and its leaf springs onto the vans unibody rails--I cant recall what steering box it had,whether it was a van one or a 4x4 truck style--it was called a "K" van,it was pretty cool!--I wasvery excited to see a "for sale" sign on it one day ,until I got right up to it--it was badly rotted,and hardly worth restoring anymore--it had a 350-TH350 and six lug wheels....I wasnt aware they made any with a 6.2--that would be ULTRA rare!!....

3. metalbonde

metalbonde Registered Member

after some searching i found this page: http://www.pathfinder-vans.com/4wd_van_faq/_k-van__faq/_k-van__faq.html

and i thougth i could use the driveline for my K5..remember even 14bff is rare in this country

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

unibody vans? when did that happen?

5. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

that is an interesting read. the 1/2 and 3/4 ton vans had 6 lugs up front and 5 in the back, with a spare wheel that could be bolted to either. :crazy:

It would be interesting to get the drivetrain from one, that way you could use a Ford HP axle. They could even be ordered with a manual transmission, thats crazy.

6. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Allthe G series Vans of that era were unibody . GM changed to a real frame when they re-did the current style Vans.

Tom

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah the vans were sheetmetal frame yep they didnt have stel frames like trucks

and i didnt know any were converted to 4x4

6.2L in vans is common though i know of a few locally

good luck