Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1983 K5 swaping in a 454 BB What Mods do I have to do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudweiser83, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Mudweiser83

Mudweiser83 Newbie

I Had a 350 with a 700R4, now swaping in a 454 with the 700. What mods do I have to do to motor mounts or any thing else?:confused:

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

as long as you have all the accessory pullies and exhaust for the 454 i dont think there is anything else. Might consider a bigger radiator for cooling

Last edited: Jan 4, 2005
  3. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

just make shure to swap in a done deal motor, ready to run,

one thing to watch is your clearence on the dist. cap, take the thing off, or be really carefull. Motor mounts will interchange, brackets, pumps ect will not. Also if this is you firts swap? loosen the tranny mount, pull the hood and lower the truck down to make this less of a head ache.

sometimes, if I am feeling froggy I will pull the tq with the motor rather then undoing the tq bolts, it may or may not be easyier for you to install it that way, I have done it both ways. Also if you want to avoid "in some cases add" agrivation you can pull the front clip. If you have a rusty bucket I imagin dealing with body mount bolts would not be fun time while doing a swap.

now is also a swell time to add a steering brace ord's or tims offroads, since the motor is out too.....that is your call though.

good luck!

also, the 4 core radiator is just about 160.00, or you can get one though a ck5 dicount for alot less including shipping, look in the parts # post.

use the loaner engin chain...I goofed and had a chain slip once, cost me a bran new flywheel:haha:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Start planning for a new tranny NOW!!:grin:

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i agree, even a mildly built 700r4 won't last behind a 454

6. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

yeah what he said. you will want to go start looking for a th400 NOW!!! ;) it will end up going in soon :waytogo:

7. supersize75k5

I would venture to say that he likes running a 700r4 since he already has run one, put some money aside and get a shop that knows how to build them. Not to mention the crawl ratio, plus his driveshafts, t-case and/or adapters would have to be changed as well.

I cant beleave I just said that:crazy:

what are your intintions with the blazer, how is your driving style? rocks? trails? camping?

crazy high speed stupidity???:laugh:

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

How do you get the converter engaged again that way ? I haven't done a th700r4 install yet , but I always thought it was like a th350 where you need to make sure to spin the converter until you knpw for sure its in there and mates with the pump :dunno:

9. Mudweiser83

Mudweiser83 Newbie

Motor mounts

Yeh the first thing I did was the front clip removal. I also had my steering brace installed about 3 yrs ago. My k5 is as bare as yours in the pic. Just cleaning the frame up to paint also. Do I buy the motor mounts for the 350 and use them on the 454, cause I bought the 454 mounts and the bolt holes on the those mounts are more distant from the top 2 holes on the mount to the bottom hole on the mount.:confused: I bought the motor about 90% complete with all brackets, alt. starter, everything except the power steering pump. Can I use my original one off the 350 somehow?

10. supersize75k5

the 350 mounts/ motor mount cradles should bolt right to the 454, I have never had a problem interchanging from a small block to big block, and vice versa.

the only years I know of to have a differnent motor mount design for a 350 was the 67-72, ut that was just the base part where it bolts to the cross memeber if I remember correctly.

Also I noticed you are in my part of the world too:laugh: ...well almost anyways, good call on pulling the front clip as well, lets you keep your sanity when swapping motors on a lifted chevy..

when I had to swap out a big block to swap in a small block I wanted to shoot my self in the foot, having the front clip on is a pain! Had to air down the tires, rock the motor around.....not fun!:crazy:

[​IMG]

any thoughts on the tranny??

11. supersize75k5

I worded that wrong paul, I have pulled it both ways, I cant remember if I have installed it that way or not. If so I assume that it would involve some luck to get it right the first try. I "think" that is what I did for the 71 though, I have yet to start the truck though....

12. jtl_77

jtl_77 Registered Member

sorry to barge in on the thread, but I'm getting ready to replace my 400sbc with a 454bbc and am wondering about the motor mount thing myself.

jegs has 2 different mounts listed , a short and wide or a tall and narrow. for the polyurathane mounts.

does anyone know which it could be? or if one is for cars and the other for trucks?

13. LIL QIK

LIL QIK Registered Member

Did you ever find out the difference in between those mounts from jegs? I've got a tall deck that I'm putting into mine..........Have any of you seen that done........and do you have any advice on headers or manifolds to run to avoid clearence problems?

14. Mudweiser83

Mudweiser83 Newbie

Well I have a 86 3/4 ton suburban that I thought had a 700R So I was going to use that on the K5 since It might be beefier, but when I got under there and looked low and behold I found my 400 that I needed. Sweet!!:xmas:

So I took out the 400 and the T-case in one whole to mount that on the K5

Santa came A little after X-mas but that's alright with me!