Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1983 K5 VIN location

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by durbin99, Apr 17, 2004.

1. durbin99

durbin99 Registered Member

I am looking for a VIN location on the frame of my 1983 K5. In order to register an out of state vehicle in CA, there has to be a VIN inspection which requires 2 seperate VIN locations. My engine has been replaced along with all of my body panels/doors. The only VIN that I can find is the one on the dash. I have been told that there should be a VIN on the frame, but I have not been able to find it. Anyone have any ideas where this might be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance....

Brent
    San Diego CA

2. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I am looking for a VIN location on the frame of my 1983 K5. In order to register an out of state vehicle in CA, there has to be a VIN inspection which requires 2 seperate VIN locations. My engine has been replaced along with all of my body panels/doors. The only VIN that I can find is the one on the dash. I have been told that there should be a VIN on the frame, but I have not been able to find it. Anyone have any ideas where this might be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance....

Brent
    San Diego CA

[/ QUOTE ]

Try looking out on front frame horn.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

That year I'm 99% sure that it is on the drivers side frame rail, TOP, basically underneath the drivers seat. Need a dental mirror, flashlight, and some patience to read it I'm sure.

I'm assuming YOU want to see this before they do, just in case the body/frame don't match? If that's not the reason, it's their job to find it, because they will STILL have to see it.

Had a vehicle inspection by the WSP, but by golly they did find the frame VIN ('81 frame) and gave me a bit of hassle about it, (didn't match the bill of sale I had) but they signed off on the registration paperwork. Took them awhile to read it though. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

is either going ot be on top side of rail near driver side engine mount or under cab floor front on top side where oyu can never see it to read it and it will only be last half of vin code anyways, the full vin is never stamped on the frame, only the sequential unit number is

good luck