Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1984 gmc suburban gear ratios

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by BIG B., Jul 29, 2003.

1. BIG B.

BIG B. Registered Member

First off did the 84 burb come with a 454 and if so what was the gear ratio in the rear 14 bolt. Only reason I ask is because I have a chance to purchase a set of axles out of an 84 burb but cant go and look at them until this weekend. I am real anxious to find out before I drive 45 minutes to look at them myself. thanks

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

the only way a 4x4 suburban willhave a 454 in it is if its a swap in that someones done to it. gearing... either 3.73 or 4.10.

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

First off, only 2wd burbs ever came with 454's....more than likely either 3.73's or 4.10, but the true way of finding out is to pull the cover /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. BIG B.

BIG B. Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    First off, only 2wd burbs ever came with 454's....more than likely either 3.73's or 4.10, but the true way of finding out is to pull the cover /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] If it is a 2wd could I still use both axles in my 4x4?

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

if its a 2wd, you can only use the rear axle, the front axle will only have 2wd parts(looks like a car front end)

6. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] not entirely true on the only part. while autozone's computers refuse to admit that such a thing as a 454 bound K20 existed, I've been proven wrong by VIN's from other board members. also, Pep boy's computer admits the existance, and the mounting holes that allow either a big block, small block, or I-6 to be used kinda argue towards the fact they sold 454 bound K20's at some point, to someone. afterall, punching another hole costs another few cents, and a few cents saved over 30,000,000 vehicles is a few million bucks....

but what do I know...

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I seem to remember '92 being a landmark year for the Burb since it was the first year you could get a the BBC in a 4x4. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3.21 & 3.42 are common 14FF ratios in 2wd BBC applications.

8. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

1992 was the first year you could buy a 454 4x4 Suburban. (Rich won't ever admit it though). If this thread goes on long enough - somebody will chime in about how they used to work for a mining company (etc.) and they saw a 454 4x4 suburban that they swear came from the factory that way. Well.......maybe a special order for commercial customers could have gotten some built....maybe..or maybe a dealer did a mass swap. But......I'll still wager a fair amount that you could not order one as an individual ...ever... until 1992 (I tried my best in 1984). I will pay to see an actual vin on an actual (pre 1992) 4x4 Suburban that shows a code for a 454. If you can't produce that....the truck has nothing more than a swapped in BBC.(period)

9. BIG B.

BIG B. Registered Member

[/ QUOTE ] I will pay to see an actual vin on an actual (pre 1992) 4x4 Suburban that shows a code for a 454. [ QUOTE ]
    How much would you be willing to pay? LOL

10. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

11. BIG B.

BIG B. Registered Member

I will see what I can find. LOL /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

12. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

another way to check the gearing ruffly is to rotate the wheel or drum 1 time and count how many times the yoke turns if it is slightly under 4 it is 3,73 if slightly over 4.10 just a quick clean way.....