Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1984 Jimmy in United Arab Emirates

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by prossett, Sep 29, 2005.

1. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

Work on the edge of the largest sand desert in the world, currently running 93 YJ (very effective dune machine!) but now have the opportunity to buy a 1984 4x4 Jimmy Sierra Classic with 5.0lt (305) V8 engine. It's a really nice-looking rig! No rust, bone stock.

Since I can't just drive down to the local 4x4 store and buy mods, I'd appreciate knowing where I can buy mods online, and which are considered good makes.

At first glance, I would like to install headers (Hooker Headers?), a high-flow exhaust (split that exits in front of rear wheel?), loosen up the air intake (Edelbrock?), and replace the carb (Holly?)

A lift I probably won't need right away, as I worry about being off-camber much of the time. Basically I want the power and acceleration to climb first.

Look forward to getting to know you guys - I'm a regular on Dubai4x4.com and Jeepforum.com, and this will be my first GMC truck!!!

This is what the sands look like over here:

[​IMG]

2. The Butcher

The Butcher 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Welcome.
    Looks like you have some fun sand to play around in.
    I don't have much comment on your engine upgrades (sounds good to me) other than you might rethink exiting your exhaust in front of the rear wheels. You can tuck it up under the body pretty good and run it on either side of the tank out the back to each side just past the rear spring hangers. Less likely that you will be sucking on gas/exhaust fumes when you are sitting still.

And again, welcome to the board.

3. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

Thanks! Is the 305 considered a strong and reliable engine with good power output and is there much of a difference to a 350?

It will be a weekend machine so gas consumption is not on the priority list - I need acceleration.

4. 350k5

350k5 1/2 ton status

I suspect you'll be happy with the 305, but engine power is not really where your accleration will come from. Sure it plays a part but what really matters is your gearing. My guess is that you've got 3.08 gears (yuck). For acclearation and lots of torque you will be better of regearing... probably 4.11s or something in that range. Maybe higher depending on how much power that 305 is putting out. I don't know much about this stuff so someone else will probably be able to help you out with some specifics. Good luck, I love these things.

5. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

The 305 is a dependable motor but it's not as good as a 350 when it comes to making power.. So as mentioned already maybe a set of 4.10 gears will help with off idle acceleration to get you some grunt to get thru the sand..

The headers and exhaust that you mentioned will work fine.. But the Holley carb on your list should be replaced with a Quadrajet.. The Quadrajet will be a lot better for the off camber situations that you will be in..

You can call Summit and Jeg's and they will send you a catalog that you can order a lot of parts from.. Or you can look them up online and order there too..

The Blazer/Jimmy is a very good truck and it's a good platform to build an off-road machine.. If you look around here and maybe search you will find some good info.. If you have any more questions then post them up :D

Last edited: Sep 30, 2005
  6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Save yourself a few bucks, Ebay has tons of used intake manifolds that will work great for you. Just get a duel-plane intake any you should be good too go. I also agree on the Q-jet carb.

7. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

OK - great advice. I've checked out Summit Racing and that's heaven for me! :laugh: I've ordered several times from Quadratec (Jeep stuff only) and it's worked out OK, so from now on it's Summit for me.

I guess my first decision is this: keep the stock 305 and add upgrades or spend my money on swapping in a 350 without any mods. (my budget won't allow both...)

So, for sand dune driving, would you vote for a 305 with headers, K&N filter, Q-jet carb, 4.10 gearing, dual-plane intakes OR a stock 350?

8. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

too bad you could not afford 350 swap and mods.

also welcome aboard! :waytogo:

but if you cannot afford to swap and add on mods, i'd say stay with the 305. add the headers like you want. sumit also sell cheap headers. I have use sumit brand exhaust all the way from headers to pipe to the turbo mufflers and I am very happy with it all. Summit makes good stuff. also another good mod would be gearsike everyone says. that will help keep you in the power you need for sand. alsoyou may want to put a mild cam in it. you could also port match the intake you get to the heads. that will help a little.

9. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

You're right, there's always the next step... that's why I've got to get my objectives sorted out now and stick to them. Thing is there's very little know-how in 4x4 modifications here, and incredibly bad mechanics, but the demand is great and people have the money to spend (not me - I'm here to save!!) so what happened with my Jeep is I ran it two years, modified it, and now it's selling for 30% over my purchase price and well above what I spent on it. Usually I've always lost out when selling!! :crazy:

Anyhow, so the plan is get the Jimmy, modify it so it rocks on the sand, enjoy it as a project and drive it in the desert, attract the attention of the local sand dudes, and then hopefully sell it at either equal or more than what I put in.

Swapping in the 350 is prolly riskier, because I might end up with a lemon - modifying the 305 at least I know what I'm starting with...

Anybody else on modifying the 305 or swapping in a stock 350?

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

As long as you keep within the same design series all the external parts you are talking about will fit either the 305 or the 350. Luck for you the 80's truck used the most common stuff. 1955-1986 & 265-400 cid, your covered. That is not to say what is the best choice for one motor will be best for another, but a good dual plane intake and headers will be needed w/ either a 305 or 350. I like the Edelbrock Performer RPM.

11. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

Here's some pics of the beast - if you have any comments, please feel free. My situation is I live in a desert oasis 150km from the coast (where the "big" city is: Dubai) and I don't have anyone knowledgeable within reach - so you guys are my link to the real world!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anybody can confirm if this is a 305 and not a 350? All I have is the VIN to go by, but who knows if the engine has been changed?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the differentials?

Rear
    [​IMG]

Front
    [​IMG]

Any comments much appreciated.

12. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Both diffs are 10 bolts

13. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

That is CLEAN!!! :eek1: :eek1: :eek1:

Wow. I would buy it in a heartbeat. :waytogo:

14. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Thats probally a 8 - 10 thousand dollar truck in my area :)

Very nice! I think that it probally is a 305, just going by the exhaust manifolds. This isn't always true, but is seems that most trucks that have the manifolds that go over top of the spark plugs are 305s.

15. mudslinger99

Looks like a nice clean truck :waytogo:

16. mudslinger99

Do you want to buy one for $10,000 bucks ? :D

Either you're wrong or I just learned something new :confused:

As far as I know the only true way to tell them apart is to get the casting numbers off of the back of the block..

17. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

There is a pad underneath the alternater. With a motor that clean, it should be a breaze to read. Post up the numbers you get off that pad, (At the block cylinder head mounting surface) and someone can tell you what size engine that is. This is the easiest real way to tell.

As mentioned earlier, all the bolt ons will fit a 350 in the future, so have fun with it if it is indeed a 305. All you would need then is a 350 short block and heads, then swap all the goodies over....

18. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i think your right looks like my 305 pu, and not like my 350 sub, wow what a kleen truck, post the vin would like to know where it was made, and how it got outthere

19. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

Glad I hooked up with you guys! The VIN I already took down, and I'll get the engine number next visit. The VIN is 1G5EK18H8DF501910.

This part of the world has excellent second-hand vehicles! Very dry conditions means not a trace of rust. There's also a lot of top-of-the-range vehicles that are discarded quite early on in their lifespan, due mainly to, and I'm being careful how to say this, an above-average disposable income, and a below-average consumer savvy.

The asking price on this Jimmy is USD3,400 - my offer is 2,200. There's no one else interested...

20. 82JimmyHS

82JimmyHS Registered Member

Another Jimmy fan in the UAE !

Hi prossett,

I just posted a Q on K5 about my 82 Jimmy and someone mentioned that there is another member from the UAE :D

I am a total newbie and dont even fully know my own car, but I do know that I love the way they look & feel on road and in the desert.

Like you I am also extremely fustrated by the local "expertise", garages and spares availability.

Would love to meet up, learn, explore and do some projects together.

Give me a call/ send me a text on my cell 4501195 (will be out of the country 2nd to 6th Nov).

Raj