Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1984 S15 Jimmy *New Pics 03-05-07*

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by jagermiester, Jan 10, 2007.

1. jagermiester

jagermiester 1/2 ton status

Here is my build up. Not to extreme but a good trail rig to allow the g/f and the dog to come along.

I picked up an 84 s15 jimmy with a 2.8 v6, t5 transmission, and a 207c transfer case. It had a dana 30 installed in the front with bullet proof all hiem crossover steering. On Board Air and 33x12.5's. After a recent wheeling incident I completely yrashed the front end and bent it.

Well my collection of parts has just about finished. I got a 44 with 5.38's (iam installing them this weekend) and 9" with a spool and 5.38's (also installing this weekend). Got my 35x12.5x15 mtr's for now until I can decide on what kind of 37's I want. (they were cheap).

I will keep you guys up to date as I do the swap.

before pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After axle damage

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  2. jagermiester

ring gear in the 9". Had to dismantle the carrier (which was a posi carrier) that was fun. The stupid screws holding the two halves together to compress the springs and clutches were hard to get out but finally we got them. Posi is still in great condition if someone wants it. Mini spool went in and new pinion bearing was pressed on. Now today after work we just have to get the right shimming in to set my pinion depth and the check my pattern. Then we start on the 44. Hopefully will finish both today.

3. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What kind of posi is it?? Splines and gear? But don't matter if it's a 9". I'm interested.....

4. jagermiester

What do you mean doesnt matter if it is a 9" are they interchangeable. It came out of a 1979 big bearing 9" with 31 spline axles. I dont know what kind of posi it is but when I picked up the truck I thought it was spooled because in the wet dirt and gravel we drove on to put it on the trailer it would always spin both wheels. It has a set of clutches and a little box with springs and then a machined spacer of some sort. I dont know much about it. Except it has these litter washers that hold the clutches in place and these little washers sit in machined grooves in the carrier.

5. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

After I wrote what the gears were it dawned on me that 9" doesn't have a carrier break. I'm looking for a posi for a 9", but only need 28 spline. Don't need or want to spend money on axles if I don't have to. But I could change the side gears. What you are looking to get out of it?

6. jagermiester

I could give you the spiders too but i dont think this will work without a carrier designed for a posi. We also tore apart a open carrier and the inside was cast different. You can have the posi and spiders for 50 plus shipping but i do think you will need a posi carrier.

Rear axle is out as well as the factory 54's. 57's are in the rear but i put the loner end towards the rear of the truck to keep my axle in the same place for now. Will switch the springs around and move the axle back after a while. Both axles have all bracketry removed and are ready for the new spring mounts. 9" is just about done so we can start the 44 soon. hope to have these sitting underneath the truck by the end of tommorrow.

7. jagermiester

Yesterday the 9" went in and the mounts got tacked on. Then we pulled it out and welded the mounts on solid. Will be putting underneath for good either today or tommorrow. Still need shocks and will have to get my driveline shortened but no big deal. It sits about 4 or 5" taller with the 57's and 35's. I mounted the short side of the spring foward which put the axle about 3/4" foward of the center of the fender. Which is perfect because when it stuffs in the fender it goes backwards to perfect centerline due to the nature of the shackles. Also I didnt run the overloads and the suspension is so soft that if I stand on the hitch (150 lbs) the fender clearence drops an inch. Well that is it for now. The 44 is completely regeared and assembled minus the outers and axles (makkes it easier to carry) Will be installing it this weekend and hopefully the steering and brakes work out and I will be driving it by sunday.

8. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

do you know that the heims that you used for steering are not supposed to be used in a single shear load like you hve it set up? It would be safer to fun drag link ends which are made for single shear loads

9. jagermiester

That is how I bought the truck but this actual steering system is designed for just that purpose. I am changing to tre's and dle's but this will work and has.
    http://bulletproofsteering.com/main.html

Sorry about no pics. I have them I am just working 530 am to 730 pm then coming home and working on this for an hour or two hitting the gym with the g/f and then off to bed so not much time to upload.

The rear end is in and done. I will take care of the driveline and possibly shocks this weekend. The dana 30 is out as well as the old bent springs. Dana 44 is sitting underneath there and should get the mounts tacked and welded today after work. It is about 41 degrees outside when I get home so this is tough to do but I want to run bolivia in 2 and a half weeks so I ned to get it done.

Question. I am pulling out a set of 54's (factory s10 rears) with an add a leaf that are spring under. I am replacing them with another set of 54's (for now) minus the add a leaf and now spring over. Will taking out the add a leafs make them more prone to warping? Or should they be fine? I am planning 57's upfront by the summertime so its not that big of a deal. I will also adjust heigth via shackles and zero rates in the front versus the rear.

10. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

i would leave the over load in there, s-10 springs are pretty flexy to start with, and unless they changed things in the later year the rear springs that i delt with were 52 inches whcihc is the same length as the full size truck springs in length. You might even want to beef up the pack a little more for stability, Im currently working on a SFA using s-10 rear springs for the front springs also

11. jagermiester

Well the front axle is all ready to go in and under the truck with the new springs. I am just trying to figure out what kind of caster I am going to be running. If i go with 0* I get a decent driveline angle. I am being told it is recomended 6* to 8* though. With those my driveline angle goes to crap. I know you are supposed to set it by caster and not driveline since caster affects your return to center, but I am debating running hydroassist any way to help my little PS box turn the 37's especially when they are aired down. I have also read that the ram on a hydro assist vehiicle pretty much negates the return to center anyway therefore making a 0* caster seem like it will be ok. On pirate4x4 guys say they track straight with 0* to 2* and that would just mean I would have to assist the hydro assist in the return to center part. No big deal. How does this sound to you guys? Is any one running hydro assist on a dtreet driven rig?

Also it is looking like I will have to run a z link for a draglink for a little while until I can get hysteer arms. Is anyone running one of these on a street rig. I hate them and dont want to but will need to for a bit.

Also with the rear springs up front with no add a leaf the springs sit almost flat with the weight of the truck on them hope this will be tall enough. I will see how it all sits when it is on all 4 again and then play with it from there. Maybe add a zero rate or put in an add a leaf to stiffen up a bit. And they are 54's measured them again today. They must have changed them inthe later years.

12. jagermiester

I did not know how hard it was going to be to cut the c's off of the 44 b/c this I have never done. I guess that is going to be the next step then and this I didnt want to do.

As for the steering I dont want to run a z link at all I meant a "bent" draglink not a z link just lie a 10* bend at the bottom and the top, and I know just how horrible it is and after sleeping on it last night I deffinetely am not going to do it. More money to spend I guess. I did think of this before hand I was just hoping it would work better than it did.

13. jagermiester

New pics

Here is a few camera phone pics. Will get better ones this weekend. The suspension is far from maxed out. I just couldnt find a taller wall. Those are 35's. I am looking at 37s as soonas those wear out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. jagermiester

more pics from that same day. Still need a taller wall

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

is it just the camera angle or are those wheels cambered bad? You sure the balljoints are alright? or is that a Dana 30 out of a Jeep that always has that strange camber situation that I have no idea why?

nvm just noticed thats coming out. interesting rig man.

16. jagermiester

That front axle was broken. I bent the long side tube. And it came out in place of a 44.

17. jagermiester

Well the motor, tranny, and tcase are out. The tbi4.3, th400, and 241 go in this weekend.

18. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

was it easy to fab the mounts?

19. jagermiester

i bought them

20. jagermiester

Put on a set of 39.5x18x15 boggers last night. Got a good deal so I will run those until I can find some one to trade for a set of 38 to 40 x 11 to 13.5 tire.